Reading books is overrated.

Orbeck of Vinheim

Orbeck of Vinheim

"But why... Is that all I'm worth?"
You always hear about all of these online gurus who love to talk about reading. These guys are always are going around recommending books. "Just read bro" is the #1 talking point of the self improvement niche. Well, I'm here tell you that reading is overrated, and here is why.
  • It's inefficient.
Reading books is by far the most inefficient means of consuming information. Think about it, what else can you do while you read a book? You can't work out. You can't drive. You can't clean. You can't even prepare a meal when you're reading a book. On top of that, when reading a traditional book, it's very difficult to pick out only the information that's worth your time. Much of the information in most books recommended by self-improvement gurus is information that you likely already know, so it's much more efficient to simply look for the information online than to read through an entire book
  • Superior forms of information consumption exist.
There's so many more efficient ways to consume information than reading a book. For example, e-books can be listened to while you drive to work or clean your house. Another example would be simply skimming through information online, saving countless hours sitting around trying to consume 500 pages of information where only maybe 10% will be useful for you.
  • The author often never actually made it via the information in the book.
Many books on how to improve yourself are written by guys who only became successful by writing books. They often never had any real world experience, and instead only became rich because they sold books about how to become rich. People like this aren't qualified on teaching success, unless it's how to become a successful self-improvement author.

Instead of reading books, you should listen to them. That way, you can stay productive while also getting the information you desired.

Last edited:
  • +1
  • Hmm...
  • JFL
Reactions: try2beme, Gonthar, Deleted member 23314 and 9 others
bookmarked.

• Love it
Reactions: Orbeck of Vinheim
@ReadBooksEveryday

• JFL
  • +1
Reactions: ReadBooksEveryday, Xangsane and LooksOrDeath
most of self improvement books have water content

• +1
Reactions: chosen-one
books mog they have info u cant find on the net depends on the subject tho

• +1
Reactions: HarrierDuBois, Pikabro, Loveland and 1 other person
Thinking of stuff in efficency and not depth is what seperates you from people who like books

I agree that books tend to waffle on and not communicate their points concisely, but they're much better for retaning information. They aren't supposed to be read while you're doing something else, focus on the book, make connections between chapters, and you will learn a lot more than from a podcast or sparknotes summary.

Always depth over efficiency when you're trying to learn.

• +1
Reactions: HarrierDuBois, PURE ARYAN GENETICS, ReadBooksEveryday and 2 others
I like them because it makes me think more and I engage in conversation with myself on what is discussed in the book

• +1
Reactions: LooksOrDeath
it depends mann, it depends what you read

• +1
Reactions: Splinter901
Dndr

You have information/stories from these high iq people with 40 years old experience and yet you call it overrated.

A good book can save you years of your life

• +1
Reactions: gribsufer1, HarrierDuBois, PURE ARYAN GENETICS and 2 others
I thought this was a @_MVP_ thread

• JFL
Dogshit take

I agree somewhat, but actually reading from a book word to word with valuable information isnt a bad thing. it’s actually good for you to read on things you don’t know about.

you’re probably only talking about emotional blm books

reading feels great when you are super into what you're reading but otherwise i agree.

dnrd btw

I can't get past the 2nd page when i read a book. I haven't finished a book in 12 years

• +1
  • JFL
Reactions: Splinter901, Pikabro and Orbeck of Vinheim
i know the guys on this forum are retarded, but sometimes someone like you appears that challenge what i thought was possible

The only thing you should be reading is this: you're a retard

• JFL
Reactions: HarrierDuBois and PURE ARYAN GENETICS
The only thing you should be reading is this: you're a retard
You can keep on rotting for hours on end reading your books, I'm gonna listen to them while on my grindset.

• +1
I agree somewhat, but actually reading from a book word to word with valuable information isnt a bad thing. it’s actually good for you to read on things you don’t know about.

you’re probably only talking about emotional blm books
Ah hell nah, Habeshan Incel??:feelswow::feelswow:

• JFL
Reactions: lunin7
Dnrd but I see you used big coloured text so you’re probably right

• JFL
Reactions: bndar.337 and Orbeck of Vinheim
true but only because most books are dogshit. however there are quite a few books worth reading :feelsokman:

Physical media is obsolete