stolen from r/splendida Medium iq

synock21

synock21

DM open for personal advice

Sleeping with a silk cap has given me the hair of my dreams​

Edit: just realised the word for this thing is “bonnet” oops.
Friends. I’ve been sleeping with a silk cap for about four-ish years now, and let me tell you, I was looking at my hair today and realised teenage me had literally dreamed about hair like this.
About my hair: I’m Chinese, and individual strands are really thick and tend to be coarse. My hair is pretty straight, but when air dried it tends to puff up and outwards. Kind of like a lion.
I also have a lot of it, so growing up it never looked flowy and soft. I’ve always wanted really long and silky looking hair, but it would never grow past my shoulder blades because of split ends. And again, it never looked long because it would be really poofy.
But since I’ve started using a silk cap, that’s changed so much.
When I let my hair air dry, it still tends to puff out and feel coarse, but after sleeping with a hair cap, the next morning my hair will look and feel a lot softer. There’s also a shine to it that maybe comes from the silk material?
Also, wearing the cap will kind of compress my hair against my head, so I wake up the next day without the puffy look.
What’s more, I hardly ever get split ends anymore. I’ve used the same products in my hair for a decade, so it’s definitely the silk cap keeping my split ends at bay. Because of this, I usually only get a small trim twice a year to keep the ends from getting scraggly, and my hair now reaches down past my waist.
Basically, when I take it out of the silk cap the morning after washing, my hair looks like a shampoo commercial it’s ridiculous.
What I do now is: after washing, I put a bit of hair oil into the ends, then let my hair air dry. If it’s late, I’ll blow dry it, but I never style it with the heat. Then I put the silk cap on the same way I would put a shower cap on—basically, I put it on the top of my head, wrap my hair in spirals around two fingers (as if my fingers were a curler), then tuck that disk of wound up hair into the cap. (I don’t twist it into a bun because that’s uncomfortable to sleep in.)
This way, my hair is pressed against my head in a spiral, so when I wake up the next day it comes out in soft waves.
I get my silk caps from Silke London. They’re really expensive, but their design and material work the best for my hair. I’ve tried cheaper options, including artificial silk ones, but my hair won’t be as shiny or soft the next morning.
If you can, I highly suggest you get a real silk cap, even if it’s not from this company. I’m pretty sure real silk does something different to your hair.
Hope this made you want to get a silk cap too. Trust me it’s the the best hair investment you’ll make this year.

• +1
Reactions: lightskinbengali