takeaways from my jaw surgery

anticel

anticel

Platinum
This is a follow up post to this thread: https://looksmax.org/threads/my-insane-bimax-result.767739/

In this post I will talk about my bimax with Dr. Safi and try to give some general advice for all the surgerymaxxers here.
Stats: 13° CCW Rotation, nearly 30mm advancement in the lower jaw, no wisdom teeth removed.
jajajaj.png

I am still very happy with the outcome and do not regret doing the surgery - however there are a few minor things I would do differently now if I had the chance. I will do a small follow up procedure where I will correct some minor issues while removing my metals.
My face kept changing even 6 months after the surgery. The final result will only be visible with metal plates get removed. Sensation has returned everywhere but the lower lip and chin area which still feels a bit "tingly" - I also feel compression from the metal plates there which is probably a stress factor for the soft tissue there. My breathing got a lot better and as I started with the postural restoration the brainfog I had almost disappeared.

"Chimp Limp":
One issue that I rightfully got some critique for is the area between my nose and lips. The soft tissue looks convex (now after the bimax) instead of a concave form which is not as appealing. This however is not an issue because of the bimax itself but because of the structures in a downward grown face.

I discussed this with Dr. Safi at length a few weeks ago. An easy solution for this is to shorten the Spina nasalis a little. The soft tissue in turn will stretch out much better and I even think that the upper lip would get a slight bit upturned. This is quite an easy fix & could be done together with bimax. I personally believe that including this procedure should be the modus operandi for any bimax with ccw for the best aesthetic outcome.

Soft tissue changes:
My skin is much better now as it is naturally more stretched out. My nose which had a slight hump before almost straightened out. Facial asymmetries decreased by a lot.

Genioplasty:
My chin looks good right now and many of the compliments I got were about the chin - however I am not 100% happy with it. I made the mistake of not really looking at genioplasties before the surgery and at that time Dr.Safi still used an old technique that he picked up from Dr. Sailer. You can see some examples of how it looks here here.

The chin is kind of folded forward which gives lots of movement but the overall contour will not look 100% natural and thus does not give the most optimal aesthetic outcome. I also talked about this with Dr. Safi who does not use this technique anymore. He told me that it would be possible to actually reverse the genioplasty I received and give me a new one at the same time - an option which I am likely going for.

Implants:
I got small zygo implants made of Lyophilised cartilage and must say that I am really happy with them atm. I considered replacing them (in the far future) for saddled infrazygos w peek to improve the lower eye area a bit but I have to

Postural restoration:
Jaw surgery alone made me grow 2cm (straightened out my spine). My whole body posture improved, I can keep my tongue naturally on the top of my moth now and my hyoid bone has been raised. I only started postural restoration 6 weeks ago. I was always in a forward head posture and expected jaw surgery alone to fix it. This is only half-true as we still have to reteach the body proper posture. I had it a bit easy since a family member is an osteopath which helped a lot but it should not be hard for anyone.

Mindset:
I went into this surgery and expected it to change my life by itself. This turned out to be a fallacy at first - jaw surgery can be a life changing surgery but we still need to take initiative after the downtime.

"Dogmaxxing":
Adsdsdaads

A term used for bimax patients whose lower midface seems to be too far forward giving them an uncanny profile. This mostly happens in patients who do not get enough ccw rotation and only get normal advancement.

If you have questions regarding jaw surgery don't be scared to shoot me a dm. Also follow @mogthewxrld on insta for general aesthetic advise and future updates ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
  • +1
  • Woah
Reactions: Orvka381, DelonLover1999, SonOfDarkseid and 23 others
BUMP

• +1
Reactions: vyirus
happy for you. can you post some more side profiles?

• +1
Reactions: Soychadcell, Oxygen and Tai Lung
switched up concave & convex, can some mod edit it in?

• +1
Reactions: Soychadcell and ccwarrior
Stickied

• Love it
  • +1
Reactions: Soychadcell and anticel
Are the frontal pics before and after?

Why are true results only visible after metal plates are removed? Does swelling not fully subside on its own?

Great thread - thank you for the update!

• +1
Reactions: anticel
Do you have hollow cheeks now? Also, why didn't you go with giant?

if you could get go back would you get bimax with safi or raffaini?

This is a follow up post to this thread: https://looksmax.org/threads/my-insane-bimax-result.767739/

In this post I will talk about my bimax with Dr. Safi and try to give some general advice for all the surgerymaxxers here.
Stats: 13° CCW Rotation, nearly 30mm advancement in the lower jaw, no wisdom teeth removed.
jajajaj.png

I am still very happy with the outcome and do not regret doing the surgery - however there are a few minor things I would do differently now if I had the chance. I will do a small follow up procedure where I will correct some minor issues while removing my metals.
My face kept changing even 6 months after the surgery. The final result will only be visible with metal plates get removed. Sensation has returned everywhere but the lower lip and chin area which still feels a bit "tingly" - I also feel compression from the metal plates there which is probably a stress factor for the soft tissue there. My breathing got a lot better and as I started with the postural restoration the brainfog I had almost disappeared.

"Chimp Limp":
One issue that I rightfully got some critique for is the area between my nose and lips. The soft tissue looks convex (now after the bimax) instead of a concave form which is not as appealing. This however is not an issue because of the bimax itself but because of the structures in a downward grown face.
View attachment 2695676
I discussed this with Dr. Safi at length a few weeks ago. An easy solution for this is to shorten the Spina nasalis a little. The soft tissue in turn will stretch out much better and I even think that the upper lip would get a slight bit upturned. This is quite an easy fix & could be done together with bimax. I personally believe that including this procedure should be the modus operandi for any bimax with ccw for the best aesthetic outcome.

Soft tissue changes:
My skin is much better now as it is naturally more stretched out. My nose which had a slight hump before almost straightened out. Facial asymmetries decreased by a lot.

Genioplasty:
My chin looks good right now and many of the compliments I got were about the chin - however I am not 100% happy with it. I made the mistake of not really looking at genioplasties before the surgery and at that time Dr.Safi still used an old technique that he picked up from Dr. Sailer. You can see some examples of how it looks here here.
View attachment 2695761

The chin is kind of folded forward which gives lots of movement but the overall contour will not look 100% natural and thus does not give the most optimal aesthetic outcome. I also talked about this with Dr. Safi who does not use this technique anymore. He told me that it would be possible to actually reverse the genioplasty I received and give me a new one at the same time - an option which I am likely going for.

Implants:
I got small zygo implants made of Lyophilised cartilage and must say that I am really happy with them atm. I considered replacing them (in the far future) for saddled infrazygos w peek to improve the lower eye area a bit but I have to

Postural restoration:
Jaw surgery alone made me grow 2cm (straightened out my spine). My whole body posture improved, I can keep my tongue naturally on the top of my moth now and my hyoid bone has been raised. I only started postural restoration 6 weeks ago. I was always in a forward head posture and expected jaw surgery alone to fix it. This is only half-true as we still have to reteach the body proper posture. I had it a bit easy since a family member is an osteopath which helped a lot but it should not be hard for anyone.

Mindset:
I went into this surgery and expected it to change my life by itself. This turned out to be a fallacy at first - jaw surgery can be a life changing surgery but we still need to take initiative after the downtime.

"Dogmaxxing":
View attachment 2695807

A term used for bimax patients whose lower midface seems to be too far forward giving them an uncanny profile. This mostly happens in patients who do not get enough ccw rotation and only get normal advancement.

If you have questions regarding jaw surgery don't be scared to shoot me a dm. Also follow @mogthewxrld on insta for general aesthetic advise and future updates ;)
Does ccw make body of mandible more parallel to floor ?

What about gonial angle?

IIRC you didn’t receive any impaction, correct?

happy for you. can you post some more side profiles?
& @Tai Lung u can dm me on insta for more pics
Are the frontal pics before and after?
Why are true results only visible after metal plates are removed? Does swelling not fully subside on its own?
It does but I feel like the whole muscles and soft tissue in my face kind of needed to restructure itself a bit. Also with swelling going down. These changes are really small but I feel like it makes a huge difference.
Do you have hollow cheeks now? Also, why didn't you go with giant?
Yes. Because I wanted bimax and not implants! If I get implants along the way I would definitely try to get him involved tho.
if you could get go back would you get bimax with safi or raffaini?
If I had to do it again I would change nothing about the bimax and go with Safi again. However I also love Chadffaini.
Does ccw make body of mandible more parallel to floor ?
What about gonial angle?
Depends on the cut. In my case not really so gonial angle stays the same. However mewing and having proper posture gets much easier which actually helps w gonial angle (before this was only possible with jutting).
Shorten it how, like in what dimension?
Just under the nose. I can even feel the cartilage extending out.
IIRC you didn’t receive any impaction, correct?
correct

• +1
  • Love it
Reactions: synock21, WagedandReady and Oxygen
To what extent did your assymetries change?

To what extent did your assymetries change?
way less asymmetry now. I actively feel pressure on the left side of my palate which I believe is slightly expanding now

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 32196
way less asymmetry now. I actively feel pressure on the left side of my palate which I believe is slightly expanding now
What I dont really understand is, why would trimax improve symmetry? Especially when many people e.g. on reddit report increase in asymmetry

• +1
Reactions: Meister!
Did you have a cant before trimax and uneven tilt to your ramus on one side?

What I dont really understand is, why would trimax improve symmetry? Especially when many people e.g. on reddit report increase in asymmetry
That shouldn't be the case

• Hmm...
Reactions: Deleted member 32196
Did you have a cant before trimax and uneven tilt to your ramus on one side?
Because as Zizou said there can be some left/right cant in the maxilla in downgrown faces because of the deviated septum. This usually is not visible as our spine needs the lower part of the skull to be straight. This basically means that the whole head sits wrong on the Maxilla and will look asymmetrical.
I made a request to my surgeon to fix this cant during the surgery. And asymmetries probably get worse after bimax because this is not corrected

Attachments

• 1706889437030.png
    1706889437030.png
    333 KB · Views: 0
  • Hmm...
  • +1
Reactions: Asspear and Deleted member 32196
Because as Zizou said there can be some left/right cant in the maxilla in downgrown faces because of the deviated septum. This usually is not visible as our spine needs the lower part of the skull to be straight. This basically means that the whole head sits wrong on the Maxilla and will look asymmetrical.
I made a request to my surgeon to fix this cant during the surgery. And asymmetries probably get worse after bimax because this is not corrected
View attachment 2718505
so did safi tilt your maxilla? if I understand correclty the asymmetry is relative to your cranial base meaning you either get a lefort 3 asymmetry correction or you are left choosing between your maxilla or your upper half being asymmetric?

so did safi tilt your maxilla? if I understand correclty the asymmetry is relative to your cranial base meaning you either get a lefort 3 asymmetry correction or you are left choosing between your maxilla or your upper half being asymmetric?
no the asymmetry is in the lower maxilla under the nose basically and correctable with normal lf1. It happens when you have a deviated septum and keep growing!

• +1
Reactions: MTNAscension2 and Deleted member 32196
no the asymmetry is in the lower maxilla under the nose basically and correctable with normal lf1. It happens when you have a deviated septum and keep growing!
did you have rotation or anything to fix that?
like rotation when viewed from the front

How does 30mm advancement gets agreed on?

Did surgeon suggest 30mm for you? Or did he suggest less but you insisted more mm for example?

did you have rotation or anything to fix that?
like rotation when viewed from the front
yes
How does 30mm advancement gets agreed on?

Did surgeon suggest 30mm for you? Or did he suggest less but you insisted more mm for example?
30mm is a shit point of measurement in my case as it was done via CCW rotation and not just plain advancement. The most important question in most cases how much ccw rotation is done. He suggested initially 11° but I convinced him to do 13°.

• +1
Reactions: BecomingHuman and Deleted member 32196
View attachment 2718505
This is fascinating - thanks for the info.

• +1

jajajaj.png

"Chimp Limp":
View attachment 2695676

Soft tissue changes:

Genioplasty:
View attachment 2695761

Implants:

Postural restoration:

Mindset:

"Dogmaxxing":
View attachment 2695807

BUMP, GOATED, BOTB worthy

• Love it
Absolutely based. Congrats m8

• Love it

jajajaj.png

"Chimp Limp":
View attachment 2695676

Soft tissue changes:

Genioplasty:
View attachment 2695761

Implants:

Postural restoration:

Mindset:

"Dogmaxxing":
View attachment 2695807

Great post.

• +1
I've got quite a few questions :

How long did you have consultations with him?

So this was essentially a CCW tri-max with zygo implants?

Does LF1 have an effect on hollow cheeks? The effect of zygo implants on facial aesthetics always confuses me

Effect on nasolobial folds post surgery?

How is your hyoid bone and submental when you speak?

How did you convince him to go over his recommended amount of CCW rotation on a already big movement?

Why did you choose Safi (was it just the cost?) over others? Are there any other surgeons you considered (Sailer, Ramieri, Raffini) Thoughts on Alfaro) ?

Did your Jaw widen at all? If yes, how so?

Appreciate it

@anticel

Last edited:
  • +1
Reactions: Orvka381 and SeriousAscension
subhuman to subhuman