Waterloo 6 internships 10322 apps 1 offer (CS'cels its over)

Seems like he's a very dedicated goy.

i have friends at waterloo and i heard its pretty bad atm for cscels, despite their good coop program idk i think it may just be the current state, i find it crazy how people apply to like 300 internships lmao. i think its going to be a tough few years for people doing cs though

• +1
Reactions: rand anon, ReadBooksEveryday and gooner23
Let me guess, this guy can solve leetcode problems and build full stack apps in 2 days but doesn’t know the big o of quick sort

Let me guess, this guy can solve leetcode problems and build full stack apps in 2 days but doesn’t know the big o of quick sort
i mean its not that important, would rather be a god at leetcode almost 0 use cases outside of academics to know big o notation and you can literally just look at the sheet

• +1
Reactions: rand anon and ReadBooksEveryday
i mean its not that important, would rather be a god at leetcode almost 0 use cases outside of academics to know big o notation and you can literally just look at the sheet
The point was, he is probably bad at the basic stuff. Understanding and knowing how the foundational algorithms work shows that you have a comprehensive grasp of the situation at bay.

take a machine learning engineer for example, he needs to know the foundational math concepts and the industry he’s working in and everything that his job requires on paper.

You might say it is too much to ask, no shit, I can tell for a fact this guy only applied to top companies who have base salaries of $150k+ and they are definitely bound to reject him if he lacks it.
Also visa plays a big role, he doesn’t probably have the visa and all the jobs he applied for were probably in the US and he needed sponsorship.

I read through the post and he only provided quantitative information, no qualitative analysis or metadata on his application strategy

• Hmm...
Reactions: ReadBooksEveryday
The point was, he is probably bad at the basic stuff. Understanding and knowing how the foundational algorithms work shows that you have a comprehensive grasp of the situation at bay.

take a machine learning engineer for example, he needs to know the foundational math concepts and the industry he’s working in and everything that his job requires on paper.

You might say it is too much to ask, no shit, I can tell for a fact this guy only applied to top companies who have base salaries of $150k+ and they are definitely bound to reject him if he lacks it.
Also visa plays a big role, he doesn’t probably have the visa and all the jobs he applied for were probably in the US and he needed sponsorship.

I read through the posts and he only provided quantitative information, no qualitative analysis or metadata on his application strategy
if you ever applied to any unicorn or faang you know they will be more focused on OS and leetcode, literally could only know leetcode and pass google meta microsoft, and amazon.

A machine learning engineer or cloud specific roles will ask questions specific to their roles but you don't just apply to those positions as a general swe, the dude was applying to general job applications and had 6 prior internships and rarely ever got interviews its more about the job search being particularly brutal this year visa or not hes in a top 3 cs uni

• +1
Reactions: rand anon and ReadBooksEveryday
if you ever applied to any unicorn or faang you know they will be more focused on OS and leetcode, literally could only know leetcode and pass google meta microsoft, and amazon.

A machine learning engineer or cloud specific roles will ask questions specific to their roles but you don't just apply to those positions as a general swe, the dude was applying to general job applications and had 6 prior internships and rarely ever got interviews its more about the job search being particularly brutal this year visa or not hes in a top 3 cs uni
Seems like you skimmed past my post.

Read it again.

I can tell for a fact this guy only applied to top companies who have base salaries of $150k+ and they are definitely bound to reject him if he lacks it.
literally answered all of those you need to read the reddit post he literally posts his resume

literally answered all of those you need to read the reddit post he literally posts his resume
That is an awful resume to look at I’ll be very honest.

The HR lady who probably opened it definitely closed it 2 seconds later. Yeah he has interned at like 10 companies, great, but his resume doesn’t garner your attention.

And even for the ones that go past this and read through his resume, there’s no sense of direction, he talks about making a microphone firmware in one company and then immediately after working on a wallet and then immediately after working on push notifications.

Dawg, where is his expertise? No one wants a jack of all trades general guy.
Put yourself in a recruiter position, for example at a FMCG company. Do you want someone who has 4 internships out of which 3 were at Hershey’s, Walmart, and Nestle, or a microphone firmware etc etc etc you get the point

That is an awful resume to look at I’ll be very honest.

The HR lady who probably opened it definitely closed it 2 seconds later. Yeah he has interned at like 10 companies, great, but his resume doesn’t garner your attention.

And even for the ones that go past this and read through his resume, there’s no sense of direction, he talks about making a microphone firmware in one company and then immediately after working on a wallet and then immediately after working on push notifications.

Dawg, where is his expertise? No one wants a jack of all trades general guy.
Put yourself in a recruiter position, for example at a FMCG company. Do you want someone who has 4 internships out of which 3 were at Hershey’s, Walmart, and Nestle, or a microphone firmware etc etc etc you get the point
thats the point he didn't apply to a specialization he was applying to general swe applications, he can tailor his resume to each company but i really doubt it would've made a difference he was passing the technicals, and he has DONE 6 INTERNSHIPS PRIOR, its not his resume, it was more about maybe being a bit too overqualified for most of the jobs he applied too or personal culture conflict/ an extremely competitive season.

hes a software engineer intern, companies don't really care about differing companies, you can jump from a banking to any tech company. doesn't matter how prestigious too, i only had one large media internship and went straight to a 9.6k/m internship with a OA - one 20 minute interview where he literally gave me the option to choose between swe or specialization

hes a software engineer intern, companies don't really care about differing companies, you can jump from a banking to any tech company. doesn't matter how prestigious too, i only had one large media internship and went straight to a 9.6k/m internship with a OA - one 20 minute interview where he literally gave me the option to choose between swe or specialization
@bold: yes they do.

and the reason you got a job is because u had 1 internship. not 5-6 internships which were mixed bags all around

@bold: yes they do.

and the reason you got a job is because u had 1 internship. not 5-6 internships which were mixed bags all around
i mean ive done like 5 now and it didn't really make a difference, this isn't a full time role the whole point is your suppose to do as many internships as possible, they're not trying to keep interns tailored to one company the whole point is to learrn and be well rounded

Its completely over for CS majors right now. Brutally, brutally over

Experienced Devs are hiring less Jr.s for their projects, and teams are reducing their employee count by leveraging AI (which I agree isn't fully there yet but its improved massively in an extremely short timeframe so the lack of employee headcount is based on this kind of forecast)

Its better to get a trade/specialized job more than ever, that have actual job security and a good pay.

• +1
Reactions: rand anon and gooner23
Its completely over for CS majors right now. Brutally, brutally over

Experienced Devs are hiring less Jr.s for their projects, and teams are reducing their employee count by leveraging AI (which I agree isn't fully there yet but its improved massively in an extremely short timeframe so the lack of employee headcount is based on this kind of forecast)

Its better to get a trade/specialized job more than ever, that have actual job security and a good pay.
only tom wilson can save them

• JFL
Reactions: ReadBooksEveryday
  • JFL
  • So Sad
Reactions: Richard Cheese, ReadBooksEveryday and gooner23