What I learned through mental illness

High Cortisol Chad

High Cortisol Chad

Diamond
Almost all reasons for emotional pain and emotions are arbitrary. The stronger the mental illness, the more it applies, but it also applies to completely average and normal people

What I mean by that is let's say you feel irritated by something, or feel guilt about something, or angry about something, or feel lonely, or anxious about something. Or even positive states like you somehow feel hopeful, energetic, and are in a generally good mood, problems seem very manageable, having a "good day". And in the moment it really feels like you feel guilt because of situation X, but actually, you're just in a guilty mood/lens, and in a guilty mood/lens that you're having right now, tends to skew everything towards feeling guilty about it.

Reckful talks about the same phenomena here, before he roped:

When he's depressed, it seems like he is depressed because everything has no purpose, but it turns out that it's not the reason because when his lens/mood switches to normal or mania, he doesn't mind thinking that everything has no purpose, he still feels happy even when thinking like that.

I've discovered exactly the same thing by making many experiments on myself. I would be feeling intense anxious/guilty/lonely because seemingly Y reason at the moment, I'd be like "ok let's see, maybe it's truly a reason why I feel like that" and I would set an alarm in 8 days on my phone to check how I would be feeling about that exact Y reason. And 8 days later my phone notification appears, so I check and try to bring exactly the same thoughts that seemingly caused me that feeling, and pretty much every single time it no longer felt like that at all, the same set of information I'm bringing to mind and yet completely different feeling about it results from it.

If Reckful would feel depressed because of the thought "everything has no purpose" or I because of thought XYZ, then bringing that thought to mind would result in feeling depressed, no matter how we currently feel, but it's not. The easiest way to demonstrate that to somebody would be to give them bipolar disorder and make them do the experiments I mentioned.

But It also applies to people without mental illness, in fact, the line between mental illness and not mental illness is arbitrary (I'm not saying that depression isn't real or smth, just that mood fluctuates in cycles, in normal people too, just to a much much lesser degree) https://www.nature.com/articles/s41746-023-00799-7 "normal" people also have something like bipolar just only a tiny bit of it, and most probably don't even notice that their mood cyclicly change.

• +1
Reactions: BigBoy, darkness97 and Abhorrence
Hinduphobic-meme.jpeg

Fell for the jew hindu propaganda

Last edited:
good thread

• +1
Reactions: darkness97 and High Cortisol Chad
Dnw but fuck those are some shitty orbitals on the Indian fellow

actually interesting thread. from what i could gather you're saying that mood, not events or perspective cause depression and anxiety?

people point to reasons why they feel a certain way, when that isn't the reality of it. the reasons don't matter it's just a matter of internal chemistry?

• +1
Reactions: Abhorrence and High Cortisol Chad
from what i could gather you're saying that mood, not events or perspective cause depression and anxiety?
It's important to distinguish here from short-term daily mood/lens changes, from more of a long-term illness of depression. Perhaps it's possible that some event will be a trigger that starts someone's long-lasting depression. But what that means is that it will trigger long-lasting depression that will shift an entire set-point or equilibrium of mood for the worse, and make mood/lens changes worse and more variable.

people point to reasons why they feel a certain way, when that isn't the reality of it
Yes, with the exception of some extreme things like someone's loved one dying or losing all life savings etc. But even perception of these extreme situations and the pain caused by them is very much affected by current lens/mood.

the reasons don't matter it's just a matter of internal chemistry?
Technically everything in the brain is chemistry so yes, but I don't really buy the serotonin hypothesis (scientific consensus also shifts away from it) if that is what you mean. From what is happening in the brain is much more complicated and the most accurate reductionistic take would be to say it's genetics

• +1
Reactions: Abhorrence and darkness97
bump

• +1
Reactions: High Cortisol Chad