What's your opinion on training frequency/overtraining?

S

Soulsmaxx

Looking for jolly cooperation
A lot of beginner programs recommend training 3x a week but I find I still have energy on the days I'm off to play sports, swim, and bike. I know some people who just do like 400 push ups and sit ups a day and have great physiques. Thoughts?

its a meme. go 6 days a week. push through it if ur tired and sleep more

• +1
Reactions: Wannabe6ft2, Deleted member 1680, AspiringChad and 6 others
its a meme. go 6 days a week. push through it if ur tired and sleep more
So could I do 3x a week weightlifting and swim on off days? Swimming is definitely more fun to do.

Swimming is ideal for v taper.

Shit kills me.

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 685 and Soulsmaxx
Swimming is ideal for v taper.

Shit kills me.
The leanest I've been was when I was on a swimming team but then I moved states and got fat, jfl

So could I do 3x a week weightlifting and swim on off days? Swimming is definitely more fun to do.
go 5-6 days lifting prioritising upper body

Swimming is the easiest way to get in shape then after a good foundation I recommend hitting the gym. Rest days are critical.

• +1
Reactions: Soulsmaxx
Swimming is the easiest way to get in shape then after a good foundation I recommend hitting the gym. Rest days are critical.
So don't swim on rest days? Also, how's your current physique?

Nearly impossible for gymcels to truly overtrain

• +1
Reactions: Wannabe6ft2 and x30001
Any recommended beginner programs?
i dont believe in beginner programs. check my thread https://looksmax.org/threads/8-months-natural-lifting-progress-with-routine-diet-pics.17291/

use weights accordingly. if you cant perform the movements,watch youtube videos for it. if its still hard, hire local PT at your gym for 2-3 sessions to teach you basics, mb more if you need it. switch excercises accordingly, eg. if you cant do normal dips yet, use dip machine, same for wide grip pullups

u would be just wasting your time with some shitty beginner program. go hard or go home

• +1
Reactions: Arkantos
overtraining is meme its more that its pointless, training 3x a week with 1 to 2 exercises will give you 90 percent of the gains from training 6 times a week with 10 exercises[unless you're on roids]
sports on off days is fine

• +1
Reactions: St Eroid
No swim as main objective. It builds upper body and slims lower. You also increase lung capacity and reduce joint issues which you don't want at a young age. It's decent but I don't swim.

• +1
Reactions: Soulsmaxx and Arkantos
No swim as main objective. It builds upper body and slims lower. You also increase lung capacity and reduce joint issues which you don't want at a young age. It's decent but I don't swim.
I think if you start young it can also have a huge impact on your frame. I heard about guys who swam since they were 5 and their shoulders are really wide. While nobody in their family has them that wide

I heard swimming was bad for posture and mouthbreathing?

6x week or you are wasting time

lol @ lifting meme

I heard swimming was bad for posture and mouthbreathing?
Swimming is probably the best intense form of exercise for good posture.

You telling me athletes don't open their mouths when at peak exertion?

going every second day is ideal

A lot of beginner programs recommend training 3x a week but I find I still have energy on the days I'm off to play sports, swim, and bike. I know some people who just do like 400 push ups and sit ups a day and have great physiques. Thoughts?
I train every muscle once every two weeks because I train a muscle per workout day

my workouts
chest
biceps
abs
lats
rear deltoid
shoulders
triceps
neck (neck curls)
obliques (sometimes toghether with neck)

I train every muscle once every two weeks because I train a muscle per workout day

my workouts
chest
biceps
abs
lats
rear deltoid
shoulders
triceps
neck (neck curls)
obliques (sometimes toghether with neck)
this is shit, you want to train a muscle atleast twice a week

this is shit, you want to train a muscle atleast twice a week
in every workout I want to focus on one muscle in order to have the best performance possible
furthermore, if I train for example lats, the lat machine and pullup bar exercises make my lats, biceps and chest full of DOMS for multiple days

in every workout I want to focus on one muscle in order to have the best performance possible
furthermore, if I train for example lats, the lat machine and pullup bar exercises make my lats, biceps and chest full of DOMS for multiple days
doms is an indicator you're not training a muscle regular enough

Full body 2-3x a week.
Or if you're bored on off days you should do push/pull/legs/push/pull/legs and take one day off for recovery.

• +1
Reactions: Zeta ascended
I do push pull 4 days a week.

• +1
Reactions: CupOfCoffee
4 days a week lifting

not having doms means you are not putting all your effort in your workout
if your goal is to build muscle[I assume that is your goal] then you only have to worry about getting stronger with a muscle not how intensely you perform
doms happen when you're unaccustomed to an exercise, if you train your muscles regularly you'll stop getting doms after a week or 2

• +1
Reactions: Wannabe6ft2
if your goal is to build muscle[I assume that is your goal] then you only have to worry about getting stronger with a muscle not how intensely you perform
doms happen when you're unaccustomed to an exercise, if you train your muscles regularly you'll stop getting doms after a week or 2
Wtf

3 x per week for body part is too much for me.
Once for week (for body part), but sometimes I need 8-9 days for recovery (except calves).
6-9 sets for chest, legs, shouders, back, 5-7 sets for biceps, triceps, calves (PPL).
More = I fell overtrain and tired and I lose strength.

Yup, I know for many trainees routine with high volume is a recipe to goal, but not for everyone.
See the bodybuilding book: Brawn by Stuart McRobert.

you really shouldnt take lifting advice from this forum. Only a few know what they’re talking about. The vast majority of the advice is laughable.

you really shouldnt take lifting advice from this forum. Only a few know what they’re talking about. The vast majority of the advice is laughable.
Most of this forum is literally autistic therefore some advice is pure genius and some is just counterproductive. Most of guys here are looksmaxing to get chicks yet advice people to lift 6 days per week. My question then is whats the point of lifting if you dont go out and have fun and actually try to bang chicks?
I say fuck lifting for the sake of lifting, do 3×week and go out, have fun learn to be sociable, find new hobbies, sport that makes you meet new people. Live your life, dont wait for complete ascention.