Why Masseter Matters for Males

I see. Well from what I’ve seen large masseters can look good at low bf, but make you look bloated at higher percentages. Are you sure you were that lean? Most people underestimate their body fat. At 10% you’d have defined abs and lots of vascularity
Yes I am certain - I had all abs, though a little fat pouch over lower 2 - unfortunate fat distribution, striations in my quads, razor cut back, etc. 63kg at 177cm, and I am also calisthenicscelling, considering I can do 22 pull ups in a row, and 40 push ups in proper form, so I can't keep much fat at that weight/height.

PS. TO be fair the only way to know that you are 10% is to do DEXA, but it is not even offered in my country.

I see. Well from what I’ve seen large masseters can look good at low bf, but make you look bloated at higher percentages. Are you sure you were that lean? Most people underestimate their body fat. At 10% you’d have defined abs and lots of vascularity
This is what large masseters do:

Front problem 2

Right one: cheeks sucked in to demonstrate the issue - the back of the cheek is masseters, which is clearly seen as a bulge under my 404 cheekbones.

Yes I am certain - I had all abs, though a little fat pouch over lower 2 - unfortunate fat distribution, striations in my quads, razor cut back, etc. 63kg at 177cm, and I am also calisthenicscelling, considering I can do 22 pull ups in a row, and 40 push ups in proper form, so I can't keep much fat at that weight/height.

PS. TO be fair the only way to know that you are 10% is to do DEXA, but it is not even offered in my country.

I believe you for sure. I was just saying because a lot of times body fat is the issue although you clearly seem lean enough.

View attachment 1513889

Right one: cheeks sucked in to demonstrate the issue - the back of the cheek is masseters, which is clearly seen as a bulge under my 404 cheekbones.
Yea I think masseters can benefit those that don’t already have an angular jaw. If you are already have an angular and wide enough jaw you don’t need masseters, but if your jaw is narrow and rounded (which goes hand in hand) then you can probably benefit from the width of the masseters

@Lagrange how long did it take you to atrophy them though and are they back to normal?

Yea I think masseters can benefit those that don’t already have an angular jaw. If you are already have an angular and wide enough jaw you don’t need masseters, but if your jaw is narrow and rounded (which goes hand in hand) then you can probably benefit from the width of the masseters
No, narrow jaw is another problem I have, but it is razor sharp with very good gonial angle. Unfortunately, masseters do not benefit me in the least, since as you see from my photo on the right, they bulge ABOVE the jawline. So, instead of sharpness, it gives bloat.

I plan to first atrophy the masseters, and then do jaw filler to widen the jaw if necessary.

But as you see from my photo in the right, there is a clear masseter bulge which prevents the cheek from falling in, creating the hollow-look. I got botox for it already, so now waiting for results. :unsure:
How long ... to atrophy?
After each botox injection, the wait time is month. If it is not enough, they just add up until the final result is achieved. First dose for me was too little. Now, after the second one, I still have to wait 3 weeks.:unsure:

Last edited:
You look better in the second pic
Well, I am an oldcel, masseters + perioral mounds stretch the skin... and this shit is very hard to solve (in the front)...

In the back, the cheek should get better when masseters reduce, or when I do cheekbone-404 fillers in spring...

My dermatologist offered me to widen the chin with fillers, so this supposedly helps the perioral mounds in front, but this does not influence the hollow cheek. Also, I like my chin really, hate these "chad's" stereotypical square chins. But maybe will have to chad-grade :incel:

The hollow cheek for me is ruined by masseters and lack of cheekbone projection though :incel:

View attachment 1513889

Oh I did not that was your picture. Your jaw is good but how does sucking in cheeks affect masseter

Oh I did not that was your picture. Your jaw is good but how does sucking in cheeks affect masseter
I sucked them in the picture to show the BULK that the masseters have in the back of the jaw.

If you have large masseters, they just make you bloat as I showed in the left pic.
You cannot easily figure what is wrong with the face when you look at the left picture: you would probably think that my face is fat.
It is skin though.

However, when I suck the cheeks (skin) in the right pic, you clearly see a huge bulge ABOVE the jawline (narrow) AND BELOW the cheekbones. THis is my huge masseters, which cause facial bloating AND prevent the hollow cheeks from forming (y)

Here circled in red:

Front problem 3

Last edited:
  • +1
Reactions: sanchez451
I sucked them in the picture to show the BULK that the masseters have in the back of the jaw.

If you have large masseters, they just make you bloat as I showed in the left pic.
You cannot easily figure what is wrong with the face when you look at the left picture: you would probably think that my face is fat.
It is skin though.

However, when I suck the cheeks (skin) in the right pic, you clearly see a huge bulge ABOVE the jawline (narrow) AND BELOW the cheekbones. THis is my huge masseters, which cause facial bloating AND prevent the hollow cheeks from forming (y)

Here circled in red:

View attachment 1513953
I gotcha. Just gotta chew less and keep getting Botox. I’m sure after 4-6 months a lot of it will be gone. Also make sure to go dental treatment if you have bruxism. many people grind their teeth when they’re sleeping and cause massster hypertrophy

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 16380
Which is the correct way to do this?