how does bimax jaw widening differ from palatal expansion?

D

Deleted member 18582

Poet laureate of the deep state
jaw widening during bimax

that expands the palate right?

like in this

timestamped

thats basically expanding palate rght ?

Yeah, that's a 3-piece segmental Lefort that expands the palate and whatever the part that the teeth are attached to is called.

Lower jaw widening - the kind that people here are getting - doesn't expand the part of the mandible that the teeth are attached to.

Something like this would be the equivalent of palatal expansion:

But that's not what people here are getting.

Last edited:
  • +1
Reactions: Deleted member 18582
Yeah, that's a 3-piece segmental Lefort that expands the palate and whatever the part that the teeth are attached to is called.

Lower jaw widening - the kind that people here are getting - doesn't expand the part of the mandible that the teeth are attached to.

Something like this would be the equivalent of palatal expansion:

But that's not what people here are getting.
3 piece lefort opens gaps in the teeth that will need to be closed with postop braces right?

3 piece lefort opens gaps in the teeth that will need to be closed with postop braces right?
No, I don't believe so. Maybe really minor ones just because of surgical imprecision. But in theory it shouldn't push teeth apart like SARPE or MSE because it just hinges the pieces outward. They can do 2-piece Lefort, too. That's what Safi recommended for me. I don't know why they do one over the other, regarding 2-piece vs 3-piece.

But you need postop (or preop?) braces anyway to make the bottom teeth line up with the expanded top.

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 18582