Importance of the brow ridge / bone

Hightwolf

Hightwolf

HTW#6700
I believe that the ideal brow bone on most people is vertically narrow, prominent, and angular. Also, the brow ridge is important because it is one of the most sexually dimorphic facial features.

Sexual Dimorphism
Transgender Surgery
sLook at the excerpt from this clinic: "The forehead is one of the more apparent gender markers. Brow bone reduction (also known as forehead recontouring or forehead contouring) is very powerful and can transform a prominent male forehead to fall within the average female ranges. Brow bone reduction is one of the core Facial Feminization Surgery procedures."

I know they have other changes, but I couldn't find examples of only the brow ridge change. Also notice how the first example has an extremely projecting and large chin, yet the subtle change to her forehead and browbone make her look incredibly feminine. You can find a ton more on this site: https://2pass.clinic/en/ffs/procedures/brow-bone-reduction

Relation to Jaw Size
Related to the sexual dimorphism aspect is the current hypothesis that brow ridges form to handle the mechanical stress from chewing. Meaning that larger jaw = stronger chewing = need for a bigger brow ridge. This is an excerpt from the wikipedia page for 'Brow ridge':

" In a later series of papers, Russell developed aspects of this mode further. Employing an adult Australian sample, she tested the association between brow ridge formation and anterior dental loading, via the craniofacial angle (prosthion-nasion-metopion), maxilla breadth, and discontinuities in food preparation such as those observed between different age groups. Finding strong support for the first two criteria, she concluded that the supraorbital complex is formed as a result of increased tension due to the widening of the maxilla, thought to be positively correlated with the size of the masseter muscle, as well as with the improper orientation of bone in the superior orbital region. "

Basically she concluded that the formation of the brow ridge is formed because of the widening of the maxilla, another important trait because it is correlated with masseter size.

Archaeology
A third source of evidence to the importance of a brow ridge is that it is used by archaeologists to determine the sex of the skeleton. Read this:
" As the female progresses from puberty to adulthood, her skull retains many of the prepubertal traits, such as smoothness and gracility. The male skull, on the other hand, exhibits more robustness and larger muscle attachment areas, more pronounced brow ridges, squared lower jaw, etc "
They mentioned two areas: brow ridge and lower jaw. They even mentioned the brow ridge first, meaning that it's probably even more important than the lower jaw.

Ideal Brow Ridge
Projection
Now that it's clear why a brow ridge is important, we need to make sure what is ideal. First of all, the brow ridge should be projected out of the face. Good examples:

I'm not sure how to measure the ideal level of projection, but if you're not recessed ideally it should match your chin. Too much projection makes you look similar to people with some hereditary and nutritional diseases such as acromegaly, an example:
Check the wiki page for 'Skull Bossing'.

Nasofrontal Angle
The nasofrontal angle is the angle between the nose and the forehead, measured like this:

I think that the ideal angle should be approximately 115, because this study (https://www.researchgate.net/figure...n nasofrontal angle,10.86° in female patients.)

Found that the average amongst males was 118, plus or minus 12. Average for females is 132 plus or minus 11. I think generally this is a good guideline:
110 or below > Too much (Though too much in this case is not as bad as too little)
115 or below > Ideal (below average for males, masculine)
121 or below > Very Good (outside normal range for females)
130 or below > Acceptable (still within the normal range for males)
Over 130 > Bad (this is when you should consider ways to improve your angle)
As a note, consider the role your nose is playing in the angle. If your nose is straight, ignore it, if your nose is convex or concave it will decrease or increase the angle.

Height
By height here I refer to the vertical length of the eyebrow, from glabella to wherever the shiny part is. The reason I say the ideal brow ridge should be vertically narrow is that a vertically tall brow ridge is an archaic trait in humans. As long as you are good in the other traits, you don't need extra size in your brow ridge to show dimorphism.

" On the left, the thick, severe brow of Homo heidelbergensis. On the right, us. Via Nature Evolution and Ecology/The Natural History Museum "

TLDR: What I said at the start.

Attachments

• 1601550775085.png
    1601550775085.png
    116.4 KB · Views: 119
  • +1
  • Love it
Reactions: AscendingHero, thecel, Deleted member 3202 and 11 others
1601550426787-png.704137

• JFL
  • Love it
Reactions: Toth's thot and Deleted member 11053
We already know this

• +1
  • Ugh..
Reactions: Deleted member 5385, Warlow and Deleted member 399
We already know this
tbh i thought that was the case but I was bored and I'm autistic so this is what I do for fun now. Maybe someone new will see this and learn something idk.

• +1
Reactions: Nibbletslol, AscendingHero, thecel and 2 others
no brow ridge for my recessed lower third.

• +1
Reactions: Hightwolf
IMG pcd8jg  01

Smh I got a small as jaw but large brows fucking L man

But I think the small jaw suits my harmony better tbh

Best of the best section
Finally something interesting on looksmaxing section

• +1
Reactions: AscendingHero and Hightwolf
Related to the sexual dimorphism aspect is the current hypothesis that brow ridges form to handle the mechanical stress from chewing. Meaning that larger jaw = stronger chewing = need for a bigger brow ridge.
I have deformed tier mandible and ogre tier brow ridge