Palatal expansion vs braces

D

Deleted member 22623

2 PSL + NT = life
I have slightly crowded teeth.. not bad enough that it was picked up and fixed as a child, but bad enough that it’s hindering me from a perfect smile

My dentist wants me to wear a brace behind my teeth, which are supposed to push the teeth forward and make more room? She tells me Invisalign will just be a cope solution.

What are the possible ways braces can fuck up ur face as an adult, not a lot I guess? Since bones are mostly fused anyway

The alternative is palatal expansion, which is somewhat niche surgery in adults as I understood it on my dentist, and I would need it surgical anyway (SARPE)

She recommended me the braces. She said it wouldn’t have any effect on my face. What do you think?

• +1
Reactions: 5'7 zoomer and Giorgio
Braces alone won’t change your face but elastics might. If they ever say they need to extract any teeth then get palatal expansion instead.

• +1
  • JFL
Reactions: Deleted member 28904, 5'7 zoomer and Deleted member 22623
I have slightly crowded teeth.. not bad enough that it was picked up and fixed as a child, but bad enough that it’s hindering me from a perfect smile

My dentist wants me to wear a brace behind my teeth, which are supposed to push the teeth forward and make more room? She tells me Invisalign will just be a cope solution.

What are the possible ways braces can fuck up ur face as an adult, not a lot I guess? Since bones are mostly fused anyway

The alternative is palatal expansion, which is somewhat niche surgery in adults as I understood it on my dentist, and I would need it surgical anyway (SARPE)

She recommended me the braces. She said it wouldn’t have any effect on my face. What do you think?

With my dentistry qualifications I pulled out of my ass, I'd say go with the first.

If they are not removing teeth and are pushing your teeth forward, what harm could it bring?

The spooky stories come from teeth extractions and pulling teeth back.

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 22623

What about those self ligating braces? I heard they do something about expanding the arc.

• +1
What about those self ligating braces? I heard they do something about expanding the arc.

I am pretty sure those are the ones she wanted me to go for. She said they would push my teeth forward and make more room, which I guess is what "expanding the arc" would equal to ...

Regarding extraction I read on real self that extracting wisdom teeth could give you a slimmer face according to some surgeons, lmao

• +1
Reactions: normie_joe
I am pretty sure those are the ones she wanted me to go for. She said they would push my teeth forward and make more room, which I guess is what "expanding the arc" would equal to ...

Regarding extraction I read on real self that extracting wisdom teeth could give you a slimmer face according to some surgeons, lmao

I had all 4 wisdom teeth removed and noticed zero difference.

The extractions you have to watch out for are pre-molar.

Go with those braces. Palate expansion surgery for your case sounds like getting an excavator to dig a 2 ft hole in your yard.

• Love it
elastic braces gave me a hooked nose, more sceral show

• So Sad
elastic braces gave me a hooked nose, more sceral show
Sorry to hear that. Do you think it was due to the elastics? Did it pull your maxilla backwards?

You don't necessarily need SARPE as an adult. You could get MARPE if you can get a good provider. This dude says he has a 100% success rate recently with splitting the suture in adults:

I probably wouldn't get SARPE. It's essentially just a segmental Lefort except they don't move your jaw forward and they move it laterally with an expander. I guess it's slightly less invasive because they're not in there fiddling around for a long time, but they're still cutting your jaw apart.

• +1
You don't necessarily need SARPE as an adult. You could get MARPE if you can get a good provider. This dude says he has a 100% success rate recently with splitting the suture in adults:

I probably wouldn't get SARPE. It's essentially just a segmental Lefort except they don't move your jaw forward and they move it laterally with an expander. I guess it's slightly less invasive because they're not in there fiddling around for a long time, but they're still cutting your jaw apart.

Thanks dude. I will watch that vid

I watched the video. It’s a shame I will never be able to get that considering he operates in the US and I’m an eurotard…

• +1
Reactions: 5'7 zoomer
I watched the video. It’s a shame I will never be able to get that considering he operates in the US and I’m an eurotard…
You could check this:

You don't have to go to that dude, just someone who knows what they're doing. I'm not the most knowledgeable about all the different expanders and providers and such.

• Love it
SFOT (Surgically Facilitated Orthodontic Therapy)

Before:
FB IMG 1686261638212

After:
FB IMG 1686261587779

• +1
  • Woah
Reactions: capybara and Deleted member 22623
my bite is more akin to the after, looks like his bite was fucked up before

its just there is no room for all of my teeth and im not gonna cope with extractions
Well that's what this type of treatment helps by getting bone grafted in to the alveolar bone for a wider arch (room) and accelerated teeth movement so takes less time than traditional braces treatment, it would good be to combine this with a surgically assisted MSE too.

• +1
Reactions: capybara and Deleted member 22623