Skincare questions

B

benignice

Diamond
Created a new thread so I didn't hijack @cyberjap threads with questions (sorry man)

Since there seemed to be a few in the past week or so, if you have any skincare questions throw them in here and I'll do what I can to answer- you know the drill by now.

• +1
  • Love it
Reactions: Deleted member 5187, Deleted member 6401, Lars and 12 others
How much sun exposure a day do you reccomend daily?

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 6401 and RAITEIII
How much sun exposure a day do you reccomend daily?
That depends on a number of factors (where you live, time of year, weather, etc). In general, be sensible and if you're going out, wear a sunscreen with adequate protection.

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 6401, RAITEIII, Deleted member 3043 and 2 others
Gid bless you @benignice

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 6401, Stingray and Deleted member 3043
You apply the balm/oil based cleanser on a dry face and than after you wash it off with water and pat dry and move to the next cleanser?

I heard that you need little water on your balm/oil based cleanser to remove all the sunscreen and pollution

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 6401
You apply the balm/oil based cleanser on a dry face and than after you wash it off with water and pat dry and move to the next cleanser?

I heard that you need little water on your balm/oil based cleanser to remove all the sunscreen and pollution
When you wash it off it should emulsify (or at least most balm cleansers will). You don't need to pat dry between the two cleansers if you don't want to.

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 6401, Deleted member 3043 and mido the slayer
should I use a cleanser with salicyclic acid (BHA) in it or just use a separate BHA?

• +1
do you know its mostly cope?

• JFL
  • +1
  • Woah
Reactions: Toth's thot, Deleted member 2733, Deleted member 6401 and 5 others
should I use a cleanser with salicyclic acid (BHA) in it or just use a separate BHA?
You're going to get the best results with the separate product since you're washing off the cleanser.
do you know its mostly cope?
That depends on what kind of results you're wanting from it- if you're expecting a whole new damn face then obviously you're going to be disappointed. If you just want better skin then it works.

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 6401, Kade and Deleted member 3043
You're going to get the best results with the separate product since you're washing off the cleanser.

That depends on what kind of results you're wanting from it- if you're expecting a whole new damn face then obviously you're going to be disappointed. If you just want better skin then it works.
is there a way to make pores appear smaller? also my skin is bumpy and rough and I want it to have a smoother texture

• +1
Rate skin care routine:

AM:

Cleanse with this ($54 AUS / 200ml bottle). It has glycolic and salicylic acid.

Apply SPF 30 sunscreen. Wait 10 minutes

Apply Cerave moisturiser for dry skin.

PM:

Same cleanser.

Apply 2.5% benzoyl peroxide to affected areas. Wait 10 minutes.

Apply 0.1% Adapalene (it's like retin A) all over. Wait 10 minutes.

(BP & Adapalene come together in a prescription cream called Epiduo in Australia)

Same moisturiser.

Doxycycline 100mg (or another antibiotic) if pimples still bad.

This is a high effort routine but is worth it if paired with gymcelling.

• +1
Rate skin care routine:

AM:

Cleanse with this ($54 AUS / 200ml bottle). It has glycolic and salicylic acid.

Apply SPF 30 sunscreen. Wait 10 minutes

Apply Cerave moisturiser for dry skin.

PM:

Same cleanser.

Apply 2.5% benzoyl peroxide to affected areas. Wait 10 minutes.

Apply 0.1% Adapalene (it's like retin A) all over. Wait 10 minutes.

(BP & Adapalene come together in a prescription cream called Epiduo in Australia)

Same moisturiser.

Doxycycline 100mg (or another antibiotic) if pimples still bad.

This is a high effort routine but is worth it if paired with gymcelling.
Never used the cleanser and can't find an INCI list anywhere but it likely would be fine.
You should be applying your moisturiser before your sunscreen (unless it clearly states otherwise on the sunscreen- I know Ultrasun used to recommend you did it this way around).
Are you using the Epiduo or are you using the adapalene and benzoyl peroxide separately?
Its a fine routine, its fairly no frills but there's nothing wrong with that.

• +1
Never used the cleanser and can't find an INCI list anywhere but it likely would be fine.
You should be applying your moisturiser before your sunscreen (unless it clearly states otherwise on the sunscreen- I know Ultrasun used to recommend you did it this way around).
Are you using the Epiduo or are you using the adapalene and benzoyl peroxide separately?
Its a fine routine, its fairly no frills but there's nothing wrong with that.
Oh yea I definitely was putting on moisturiser first, my mistake.

I used them separately when I followed this routine to a tee for about 2 months.

• +1
I used them separately when I followed this routine to a tee for about 2 months.
If it works for you, then go for it.

• +1
Any good skincare routine ?

• +1
I’m using Nivea gentle cleanser and I’m finding it a bit too gentle ngl it doesn’t feel like it’s cleaning enough but maybe that’s a good thing as it doent tax the skin

I’d highly recommend Nivea sensitive moisturiser though, it feels great in the skin

• +1
I’m using Nivea gentle cleanser and I’m finding it a bit too gentle ngl it doesn’t feel like it’s cleaning enough but maybe that’s a good thing as it doent tax the skin

I’d highly recommend Nivea sensitive moisturiser though, it feels great in the skin
The cleansing cream? But in general, you shouldn't feel anything from your cleanser. If you feel like you've got a residue left on your face that you don't like then maybe switch the cleanser out. But it shouldn't leave you feeling tight at all.

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 6401 and Deleted member 4887
Created a new thread so I didn't hijack @cyberjap threads with questions (sorry man)

Since there seemed to be a few in the past week or so, if you have any skincare questions throw them in here and I'll do what I can to answer- you know the drill by now.
How to fix dark eyelids? I don’t mean just dark undereyes, both my upper and lower eyes are noticeably darker compared to the rest of my skin, and this seems to be common in my ethnicity (Indian). I do have poor orbital support as well.

It might seem minor but it makes such a massive difference when I photoshop it to the same colour as my skin. I haven’t seen any solution online for this either.

• +1
Are all of you too fucking dumb to google simple stuff?

• +1
i started applying retin a 0.05% in my forehead, once every 3 days.. so far i havent had any irritation or peeling but not any noticeable changes to the skin aswell

thats not a bad sign right?

also, is there any evidence, anecdotal or not, that industry cleansers and moisturizers age the skin due to their chemicals?

• +1
How to fix dark eyelids? I don’t mean just dark undereyes, both my upper and lower eyes are noticeably darker compared to the rest of my skin, and this seems to be common in my ethnicity (Indian). I do have poor orbital support as well.

It might seem minor but it makes such a massive difference when I photoshop it to the same colour as my skin. I haven’t seen any solution online for this either.
Sounds like (although I absolutely could be way off here) hyperpigmentation. There are eye creams and serums which contain vitamin C which might help out.
i started applying retin a 0.05% in my forehead, once every 3 days.. so far i havent had any irritation or peeling but not any noticeable changes to the skin aswell

thats not a bad sign right?

also, is there any evidence, anecdotal or not, that industry cleansers and moisturizers age the skin due to their chemicals?
No, that's not a bad sign. If you can tolerate it like this, up the frequency after a while.
I'm not sure what you mean? What kind of industry cleansers and moisturisers? The skincare industry?

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 6401 and Ocelot
Sounds like (although I absolutely could be way off here) hyperpigmentation. There are eye creams and serums which contain vitamin C which might help out.

No, that's not a bad sign. If you can tolerate it like this, up the frequency after a while.
I'm not sure what you mean? What kind of industry cleansers and moisturisers? The skincare industry?
yes, i mean the typical skincare products..ive heard people saying all those chemicals can age the skin..does this have any basis or its nonsense

also about the hyperigmentation thing the other guy said
do u think retin a could help, reducing skin melanin? how can i test 0.05% near my lower and upper eyelids, is it possible?

• +1
Firstly, thanks for the guide. My skin is doing really good lately because of it. My question is i have been using tretinoin 0.05% for a month EOD. Started with 0.05%. I don't have any irritation, redness, purge etc. Should i use it every day? Or should i add another active to my routine?

I am using moisturizer, spf, cleanser and additionally hyaluronic acid and tretinoin. My skin is dry without acne. Pores are a little big. And idk if this is something fixable but my skin is really pale but by eyelids are darker compared to it.

• +1
Is it better to use TO Niacinamide every morning and night or just TO Vitamine c in the morning and Niacinamide in the night?
i am 1 month with tret 0.05% and i don't get flaking when i wake up should i power up?

• +1
yes, i mean the typical skincare products..ive heard people saying all those chemicals can age the skin..does this have any basis or its nonsense

also about the hyperigmentation thing the other guy said
do u think retin a could help, reducing skin melanin? how can i test 0.05% near my lower and upper eyelids, is it possible?
Its bullshit. Look at it this way, if the products made the skin worse, people would stop buying them, which is the exact opposite of what the brands want.
Yeah, you can use tretinoin around the eyes. I'd use it under the eyes but probably wouldn't use it on the upper eyelids purely due to migration and sensitivity. If you want to try it, just go slowly and buffer the hell out of it for a while.
Firstly, thanks for the guide. My skin is doing really good lately because of it. My question is i have been using tretinoin 0.05% for a month EOD. Started with 0.05%. I don't have any irritation, redness, purge etc. Should i use it every day? Or should i add another active to my routine?

I am using moisturizer, spf, cleanser and additionally hyaluronic acid and tretinoin. My skin is dry without acne. Pores are a little big. And idk if this is something fixable but my skin is really pale but by eyelids are darker compared to it.
No worries, glad its helping. If you're using it every other day with no negative consequences and have been for a month, move up to once daily.
If your skin is still dry, potentially look at the cleanser and moisturiser that you're using and maybe use a more hydrating option.
With the eyelids thing, maybe look into an eye cream with vitamin C?
Is it better to use TO Niacinamide every morning and night or just TO Vitamine c in the morning and Niacinamide in the night?
i am 1 month with tret 0.05% and i don't get flaking when i wake up should i power up?
You can use niacinamide with Vitamin C- don't worry about combining the two.
How often are you using the tret?

• +1
  • Love it
Reactions: Deleted member 6401, JameshetfieldOnRoids and Deleted member 3043
How long does a cystic acne take to go away on the average, mine seems to varies from 2-4 week. How to prevent them and treat them?

• +1
Its bullshit. Look at it this way, if the products made the skin worse, people would stop buying them, which is the exact opposite of what the brands want.
Yeah, you can use tretinoin around the eyes. I'd use it under the eyes but probably wouldn't use it on the upper eyelids purely due to migration and sensitivity. If you want to try it, just go slowly and buffer the hell out of it for a while.

No worries, glad its helping. If you're using it every other day with no negative consequences and have been for a month, move up to once daily.
If your skin is still dry, potentially look at the cleanser and moisturiser that you're using and maybe use a more hydrating option.
With the eyelids thing, maybe look into an eye cream with vitamin C?

You can use niacinamide with Vitamin C- don't worry about combining the two.
How often are you using the tret?
everynight and how long do i need to wait to apply the other serum

• +1
How long does a cystic acne take to go away on the average, mine seems to varies from 2-4 week. How to prevent them and treat them?
If its proper cystic acne, go see a doctor.
everynight and how long do i need to wait to apply the other serum
Finish whatever you've got at 0.05% and then move up. You mean with the nicinamide and vitamin C? Just wait till the first one is absorbed.

• +1
ok man, something last

should i still give it a try with 0.05% retin a around the eyes?

also, im currently using the classic cerave moisturizer (the "3 essential ceramides and hyaluronic acid") but its stating in that it is used for dry to very dry skin
my skin is kinda oily when i use it, and with an akward touch afterwards..should i switch to one for more oily skin texture?
i remember you saying in your pdf that those ceramides are good thats why i didnt change to another moisturizer earlier

do you have any brand that you recommend me out of the blue for a mildly oily skin? also the current one that im using, doesnt leave me with a cool feeling after but rather a wet oily one, its like the moisturizer doesnt absorb and is still in the surface, idk how to describe it

• +1
ok man, something last

should i still give it a try with 0.05% retin a around the eyes?

also, im currently using the classic cerave moisturizer (the "3 essential ceramides and hyaluronic acid") but its stating in that it is used for dry to very dry skin
my skin is kinda oily when i use it, and with an akward touch afterwards..should i switch to one for more oily skin texture?
i remember you saying in your pdf that those ceramides are good thats why i didnt change to another moisturizer earlier

do you have any brand that you recommend me out of the blue for a mildly oily skin? also the current one that im using, doesnt leave me with a cool feeling after but rather a wet oily one, its like the moisturizer doesnt absorb and is still in the surface, idk how to describe it
You can. Like I said, just buffer the hell out of it.
If its leaving you feeling overly oily then yes, use a lighter moisturiser.
There are a few product recommendations in here:

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 6401 and goodman78
Hey what are your thoughts on this product?
This one seems good idk can u suggest anything better?
It says "It’s like 4 serums in one without the hassle of layering!"
It's has 2% granactive retinoid

• +1
can a certain moisturizer cause oily skin?
How to get rid of blackheads?

• +1
Hey what are your thoughts on this product?
This one seems good idk can u suggest anything better?
It says "It’s like 4 serums in one without the hassle of layering!"
It's has 2% granactive retinoid
Never tried it, couldn't comment but I trust Sam.
can a certain moisturizer cause oily skin?
How to get rid of blackheads?
Cause oily skin as a skin type? No. Can it be too heavy for your skin and make you oily throughout the day? Yes.
Salicylic acid.

• +1
I seen conflicting resources on when to start retinol.
Some say as soon as possible, other 25 when aging hits, others like Liah Yoo say at 30 and just use vitamin c until then.
What do you think.

• +1
I seen conflicting resources on when to start retinol.
Some say as soon as possible, other 25 when aging hits, others like Liah Yoo say at 30 and just use vitamin c until then.
What do you think.
Its up to you. As a general rule I'd say it depends on your lifestyle- if you smoke/drink/don't get enough sleep/eat shit/are constantly in the sun or are seeing ageing that you don't want then start earlier. If you don't have any of that but just want to use it then go for it.

• +1
Castor oil good for beard and eyebrow thickness

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 6401 and Kingkellz
should you apply sunscreen immediately or wait for the moisturizer to dry a bit?

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 6401 and Chadelite
  • +1
Reactions: Deleted member 6401, Kade, Deleted member 3328 and 1 other person
Its up to you. As a general rule I'd say it depends on your lifestyle- if you smoke/drink/don't get enough sleep/eat shit/are constantly in the sun or are seeing ageing that you don't want then start earlier. If you don't have any of that but just want to use it then go for it.
Is there anything such as thr body getting used to it or reduced effect? Any long term damage we know of?

• +1
Is there anything such as thr body getting used to it or reduced effect? Any long term damage we know of?
Not that I'm aware of. You might it a plateau in terms of results but thats about it.

• +1
Never tried it, couldn't comment but I trust Sam.

Cause oily skin as a skin type? No. Can it be too heavy for your skin and make you oily throughout the day? Yes.
Salicylic acid.
Thanks dude, i use the Cerave moisturizing lotion everyday and throughout the day it gets pretty oily so i always tap it dry when im in the bathroom. What kind of moisturizer would you recommend? brands? preferably with hyalaronic acid.
Salicylic acid.
and for the salicylic acid, does it need to be in a moisturizer or should i just buy it on its own?
And also what do you think about microneedling?

Last edited:
  • +1
Thanks dude, i use the Cerave moisturizing lotion everyday and throughout the day it gets pretty oily so i always tap it dry when im in the bathroom. What kind of moisturizer would you recommend? brands? preferably with hyalaronic acid.

and for the salicylic acid, does it need to be in a moisturizer or should i just buy it on its own?
And also what do you think about microneedling?
There is a few product recs in there- if you need any others let me know.
Its up to you, although I tend to prefer a separate product for acids/treatments.
I like microneedling but I would be very cautious to recommend it at home because most people will likely do more damage than good.

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 6401 and DutchPrettyBoy
There is a few product recs in there- if you need any others let me know.
Its up to you, although I tend to prefer a separate product for acids/treatments.
I like microneedling but I would be very cautious to recommend it at home because most people will likely do more damage than good.
so something like this one is more damaging than good? or is it the same as something like a derminator?

• +1
  • +1
Reactions: Deleted member 6401 and DutchPrettyBoy
That depends on a number of factors (where you live, time of year, weather, etc). In general, be sensible and if you're going out, wear a sunscreen with adequate protection.
So you don't recommend NO exposure at all right?

• +1
So you don't recommend NO exposure at all right?
If you're asking do I recommend you sit in a windowless basement your entire life, then no, I do not recommend that.

• JFL
  • +1
Reactions: Deleted member 6401, Mateusz74, TheLordMadness and 1 other person
Is the Vitamin C E Ferulic acid by Timeless a good, cheap alternative to the one made by Skinceuticals? I know the pH balance is different and the one by Timeless is more reactive, just wanted to know your thoughts.

Also which sunscreen ingredient do you think is the best overall?

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 6401 and Thanos
Is the Vitamin C E Ferulic acid by Timeless a good, cheap alternative to the one made by Skinceuticals? I know the pH balance is different and the one by Timeless is more reactive, just wanted to know your thoughts.

Also which sunscreen ingredient do you think is the best overall?
Is it a good option? Yes. Is it basically the same? No.
Oh wow, that is a massive question. I have quite reactive skin so if its being a bitch, I'll stick to a zinc oxide. If my skin isn't being a dickhead, I like Tinosorb S, the Mexoryls, the Uvinuls, DPDT. There are a ton of good options.

• +1