The actual top issue with jaw implants

C

Chinlet Ascension

Kraken
I see a lot of people talk about jaw implant issues here, and it is obvious that they don't do much research on the issue. The most common complaints you see are the following:

-design/"looking natural" (has to do with skill of the designer, usually the surgeon)
-infection (has to do with both the skill of the surgeon and the pre-op/post-op care of the patient)
-"masseter dehiscence" (unclear how common this actually is)

The big issue you should be talking about is incorrectly placed implants. This is when the implant, which would have a satisfactory shape/quality if it was inserted correctly, being put in the wrong position. This is usually an aesthetic/symmetry issue, but could conceivably strain your masseter muscle on one side, depending on the position. It is a fixable problem (just cut open the sutures and reposition), but planning and executing a second surgery for something that should require only 1 is not something anyone wants.

From the 6 people I have talked to who have gotten a jaw implant in the last few years, 3 of them have dealt with an incorrectly placed implant. That's 50%. That is a remarkable complication rate. Most surgeons do not have a specific % for how common they expect this issue to be, but Eppley claims a 15% revision rate for jaw angle implants (which I suspect is very low).

• +1
Reactions: humanoidsub7, Deleted member 19766, Mr. President and 1 other person
From the 6 people I have talked to who have gotten a jaw implant in the last few years, 3 of them have dealt with an incorrectly placed implant. That's 50%. That is a remarkable complication rate. Most surgeons do not have a specific % for how common they expect this issue to be, but Eppley claims a 15% revision rate for jaw angle implants (which I suspect is very low).
great! now i know that based off of your scientific study of 6 people i have a 50% chance of having one of the easiest cosmetic surgeries to exist botched. exemplary analysis

• JFL
  • +1
Reactions: pajeetmaxxing, SonOfDarkseid, niqfan625 and 5 others
great! now i know that based off of your scientific study of 6 people i have a 50% chance of having one of the easiest cosmetic surgeries to exist botched. exemplary analysis
Woman response TBH

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 28774 and schizo echochamber
Woman response TBH
i’m joking. it’s a real thing but not nearly 50% failure rate. but if you’re tryna make your jaw wider you could risk it with MK/CJC or even just inject igf-1 into your mandible fat and hope for the best.

Hahaha. No fucking way is Eppley's revision rate for jaw implants 15%.

I had multiple revisions with him. I'm not even going to say how many. And I've heard of others who've experienced the same.

Good guy, great salesman, but a mediocre surgeon with no eye for aesthetics.

Anyway, I agree with the point of this post. Placement is notoriously hard to get right for jaw implants.
I'd say it's even a miracle if someone could sink it on the first try.

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 19766, callisto and Chinlet Ascension
I had multiple revisions with him. I'm not even going to say how many. And I've heard of others who've experienced the same.
So I'm assuming you've had jaw implants with Eppley? Wraparound or jaw angle implants? Did you have anything else from Eppley?

Here's Eppley with some corroborating information:

"Jaw angle implants pose very difficult challenges than chin implants in both size and style selection as well as surgical placement...A less obvious difference is that the working end of a chin implant is in the direct line of vision from the incision regardless if it is intraoral or submental...As a result jaw angle implant asymmetry is really the norm and not the exception. Custom jaw angle implants fare better for the obvious reason that they are designed specifically for the patient’s jaw angle bony shape and there is intraoperative guidance for how the implant fits the bone from the design. That does not mean it is a guarantee for assured placements but the odds are better..."

Jaw implants are a meme, I think jaw angles might be legit though

• Woah
Reactions: Deleted member 19766
i’m joking. it’s a real thing but not nearly 50% failure rate. but if you’re tryna make your jaw wider you could risk it with MK/CJC or even just inject igf-1 into your mandible fat and hope for the best.
Into mandible fat ? Could you be more more precise ?

that's the bare minimum lol

The big issue that happens across the board, is dehiscence.

• +1
Reactions: fl0w