why dht doesent cause hair loss

the MOUSE

the MOUSE

Bones don't lie, Mosley. See you in Animal Park
There is too much we don’t know to claim that DHT causes hair loss.

There are also too many paradoxes and it’s much too reductionistic for DHT alone to cause/contribute to hair loss.

General knowledge has risen to the point where a lot of independent researchers on the internet are saying that DHT doesn’t cause hair loss, but is only contributing to it.

DHT in hair loss​

I’m not denying that DHT or androgen receptors are elevated in the scalp.

We know that circulating DHT isn’t a good marker for hair loss, and now it’s the 5AR in the scalp specifically that boosts DHT locally that contributes to hair loss (that’s what people believe). That’s why DHT is found to be generally (not in everyone) increased in the scalp of balding men.

Furthermore, the androgen receptor becomes upregulated in some people who are balding, so even if they have normal DHT, they can still suffer balding…or so the theory goes.

But as I mentioned, DHT doesn’t cause hair loss. This is supported by the fact that men who are exposed to exceptionally high levels of DHT in response to the daily application of DHT for a long period of time didn’t experience acne, male androgenic alopecia or other androgen-associated skin pathology (R).

Something else is driving hair loss.

However, here is an in vitro human hair follicle and animal study showing that certain concentrations of DHT actually promote the regrowth of hair (R).

In our study, we found a similar phenomenon: when the DHT concentration decreased from 10-6 mol/L to 10-7 mol/L, the HFs grew much better than in the presence of higher DHT concentrations. In fact, the results suggest that an appropriate level of DHT is required for normal androgen-sensitive HF growth. Once the DHT concentration decreased from 10-7 mol/L to 10-8 mol/L, the HF growth rate showed no significant difference from that in the control group, which explains why beard growth is weaker in castrated males.

DHT-hair-growth.jpg

Namely, physiological concentrations (10^-7 mol/L = 100 nM/L) of DHT applied topically on the skin/scalp for just 18 days, can accelerate hair growth! Now, the study did find that 10-fold higher concentrations (10^-6 mol/L = 1 uM/L) of DHT inhibit hair growth, but such concentration are impossible to occur naturally, unless there is an androgen-secreting tumor present or a person is using 50mg+ DHT daily. Also, even with the pharmacological concentrations the inhibition was so small that hair growth was barely statistically different from the control animals that received no treatment. I suspect that the slightly elevated (but nowhere near 1 uM/L) concentrations of DHT that some studies have identified in people with “androgenic alopecia” may very well be adaptive, in response to the elevated estrogen/prolactin/cortisol levels in such people, and in no way prove that DHT is a cause of hair loss. The body, being much smarter than doctors give it credit for, may be simply trying to protect itself from estrogen/cortisol/prolactin by raising DHT levels.
Georgi Dinkov

There is a paradox that DHT promotes hair growth everywhere else in the body except on the top of the scalp. However, the above study found that DHT should even promote hair growth on the top of the scalp as well.

So clearly, DHT on its own doesn’t promote hair loss.

DHT in balding men​

• DHT blockage doesn’t reverse hair loss (doesn’t promote regrowth), only stops further hair loss to a degree.
  • DHT doesn’t cause calcification on its own. Calcification in implicated in hair loss.
  • Since there is a decrease in 5alpha-reductase activity in senescent alopecia, efficacy of the 5alpha-reductase inhibitors decreases in men after the age of 60 years (R).

A few questions on the logic of DHT and hair loss​

• What causes 5AR, DHT and ARs to increase in androgenic alopecia-prone tissues?
  • By which mechanisms does DHT miniaturize androgenic alopecia-prone hair follicles, since DHT does not directly (or on its own) miniaturize hair follicles.
  • Why does castration (which decreases androgen production by 95%) stop pattern hair loss, but not reverse it?
  • Androgens doesn’t contribute to cardiovascular disease (it actually reverses it), so why would it do so in the scalp?
  • In prostate tissue (a highly androgen sensitive tissue), DHT is shown to exert broad anti-inflammatory effects (R). Why is it inflammatory (the opposite) in the scalp? Since ROS promotes androgen receptor signalling in the prostate, it should do the same in the scalp and actually be the root cause of the hair loss (R).
  • Why does DHT only cause hair loss in that specific pattern? Why does only the hair follicles on top of the scalp increase 5AR and not all the scalp hair follicles?
  • When they do in vitro studies on human hair follicles, do they use the top or the side follicles, or does it not matter? Isn’t it impossible to actually descern if DHT is the culprit or not since there is no difference in vitro? As a side note, it’s difficult to assess the influence of 5AR on hair follicle growth because 5AR cannot be maintained in culture systems in vitro (R).

IGF-1, DHT and hair loss​

Some studies show that IGF-1 is decreased in balding men whereas others show that it’s increased.

5AR is IGF-1 dependent (R), so if free IGF-1 goes too high, then DHT also goes up as well. IGF-1 seems to prevent hair loss and even promote hair regrowth, so if IGF-1 boosts DHT, shouldn’t IGF-1 also be bad?

However, it’s the dysregulation of the IGF-1 axis that promotes hair loss. Some studies find that IGFBP2 and 4 are low, whereas others find IGFBP-3 (IGFBP-3 influences the bioavailability of
IGF-1) low (R). DHT (much more than testosterone) has actually been shown to increase IGFBP-3, so it should actually improve hair quality (R).

And in turn, androgens increase IGF-1 mRNA (R). So if IGF-1 is good, DHT should also be good since it boosts IGF-1.

Finasteride on hair loss​

Why does it work for some people?

Some people get an increase in IGF-1, which seems to be the helpful factor (R). Those without a change in IGF-1 didn’t experience benefits.

As I mentioned to Sam Empie in our podcast, the effects of finasteride are totally understudied. For example, when they design an SSRI drug (or any other drug really), they think it has only one function, but later on, it turns out that it has many other effects as well.

Similarly, finasteride has been thought to only inhibit 5-AR, but now it’s known that it also increases IGF-1 for some people as well. What other “beneficial” effects does it not also have.

We know about its side effect, which there is an extensive list of, but will we ever know why it really worked for some people? Most likely not, because the scientists think they have the mechanism of action figured out. But their hypothesis is wrong.

Conclusion​

DHT doesn’t cause hair loss. Most people that have hair loss also have other comorbidities, such as cardiovascular disease, diabetes, metabolic syndrome, gastrointestinal problems, etc.

Actually, a few studies have found that balding men are significantly more likely to get severe symptoms from COVID (R, R).

And this is because balding men are often not healthy and hair loss is just a sign/symptom of that.

• +1
  • Love it
Reactions: nigkook, reaper2, 5'7 zoomer and 2 others

• +1
Reactions: Maalik and DHTrash
state of the forum, eh sonny.

thread of this calibre getting nothing, ehat a very good incentive to conitnue on with likewise posts in the future.

can literally edit out all this info in next 17 mins. pearl unto swines

• +1
Reactions: Maalik and irrumator praetor
state of the forum, eh sonny.

thread of this calibre getting nothing, ehat a very good incentive to conitnue on with likewise posts in the future.

can literally edit out all this info in next 17 mins. pearl unto swines
Unironically.

Keep up the good work though. Set a example for others type shit innit

• +1
  • JFL
Reactions: m0ss26 and the MOUSE
Hairloss is caused by prolactin

• +1
  • Woah
Reactions: Crayola CØck and the MOUSE
An increase in prolactin levels is observed in healthy men and women following an orgasm induced by both masturbation or coitus, but not after sexual arousal without orgasm

Jerk off and go bald.

• +1
  • JFL
Reactions: m0ss26, 6′2 still over and Crayola CØck
dnrd, its genetic reaction to DHT

An increase in prolactin levels is observed in healthy men and women following an orgasm induced by both masturbation or coitus, but not after sexual arousal without orgasm

Jerk off and go bald.
I jerk off everydy still have enough hair for 10 bald niggas

• +1
Reactions: m0ss26

Jerk off and go bald.
how much and how long is prolactin spike?

dnrd, take tranny drugs

So whats the solution then ? Until we get any working solution the only way to keep your hair is finasteride/dutasteride

• +1
Reactions: m0ss26, reaper2 and bradpittshairline
also copes that DHT is useless after puberty is complete bullshit

my mate literally takes roids that pretty much only increase DHT and he feels like god. has to fuck or jerk off 3-7x daily and builds shit ton of muscles

• +1
Reactions: nofap and the MOUSE
Prolactin in the tissue scalp

Serum vs tissue hormone levels are different

Blocking prolactin will not WORK in fixing baldness

• +1
Reactions: the MOUSE
So whats the solution then ? Until we get any working solution the only way to keep your hair is finasteride/dutasteride
I got one solution (i think) but im still did not try it loool

• +1
how much and how long is prolactin spike?
The prolactin will be cleared fast out of the body

but me hair get oily and darker after masturbating (probably due to prolactin) so it don"t matter if its gonna be cleared out if you alr got the effect of prolactin

Last edited:
  • +1
What r ur theories n thought doc
I gonna keep it hidden lolol
if me solution gonna work then i wiillll maaaybe say it

this forum don"t deserve it

• +1
I gonna keep it hidden lolol
if me solution gonna work then i wiillll maaaybe say it

this forum don"t deserve it
Do U think drinking grimace shake can cure my Norwood 4?

I didn't say happy birthday to grimace n he cursed me I think

• JFL

There are also too many paradoxes and it’s much too reductionistic for DHT alone to cause/contribute to hair loss.

General knowledge has risen to the point where a lot of independent researchers on the internet are saying that DHT doesn’t cause hair loss, but is only contributing to it.

DHT in hair loss​

We know that circulating DHT isn’t a good marker for hair loss, and now it’s the 5AR in the scalp specifically that boosts DHT locally that contributes to hair loss (that’s what people believe). That’s why DHT is found to be generally (not in everyone) increased in the scalp of balding men.

Furthermore, the androgen receptor becomes upregulated in some people who are balding, so even if they have normal DHT, they can still suffer balding…or so the theory goes.

But as I mentioned, DHT doesn’t cause hair loss. This is supported by the fact that men who are exposed to exceptionally high levels of DHT in response to the daily application of DHT for a long period of time didn’t experience acne, male androgenic alopecia or other androgen-associated skin pathology (R).

However, here is an in vitro human hair follicle and animal study showing that certain concentrations of DHT actually promote the regrowth of hair (R).

In our study, we found a similar phenomenon: when the DHT concentration decreased from 10-6 mol/L to 10-7 mol/L, the HFs grew much better than in the presence of higher DHT concentrations. In fact, the results suggest that an appropriate level of DHT is required for normal androgen-sensitive HF growth. Once the DHT concentration decreased from 10-7 mol/L to 10-8 mol/L, the HF growth rate showed no significant difference from that in the control group, which explains why beard growth is weaker in castrated males.

DHT-hair-growth.jpg

There is a paradox that DHT promotes hair growth everywhere else in the body except on the top of the scalp. However, the above study found that DHT should even promote hair growth on the top of the scalp as well.

DHT in balding men​

• DHT blockage doesn’t reverse hair loss (doesn’t promote regrowth), only stops further hair loss to a degree.
  • DHT doesn’t cause calcification on its own. Calcification in implicated in hair loss.
  • Since there is a decrease in 5alpha-reductase activity in senescent alopecia, efficacy of the 5alpha-reductase inhibitors decreases in men after the age of 60 years (R).

• What causes 5AR, DHT and ARs to increase in androgenic alopecia-prone tissues?
  • By which mechanisms does DHT miniaturize androgenic alopecia-prone hair follicles, since DHT does not directly (or on its own) miniaturize hair follicles.
  • Why does castration (which decreases androgen production by 95%) stop pattern hair loss, but not reverse it?
  • Androgens doesn’t contribute to cardiovascular disease (it actually reverses it), so why would it do so in the scalp?
  • In prostate tissue (a highly androgen sensitive tissue), DHT is shown to exert broad anti-inflammatory effects (R). Why is it inflammatory (the opposite) in the scalp? Since ROS promotes androgen receptor signalling in the prostate, it should do the same in the scalp and actually be the root cause of the hair loss (R).
  • Why does DHT only cause hair loss in that specific pattern? Why does only the hair follicles on top of the scalp increase 5AR and not all the scalp hair follicles?
  • When they do in vitro studies on human hair follicles, do they use the top or the side follicles, or does it not matter? Isn’t it impossible to actually descern if DHT is the culprit or not since there is no difference in vitro? As a side note, it’s difficult to assess the influence of 5AR on hair follicle growth because 5AR cannot be maintained in culture systems in vitro (R).

Some studies show that IGF-1 is decreased in balding men whereas others show that it’s increased.

5AR is IGF-1 dependent (R), so if free IGF-1 goes too high, then DHT also goes up as well. IGF-1 seems to prevent hair loss and even promote hair regrowth, so if IGF-1 boosts DHT, shouldn’t IGF-1 also be bad?

However, it’s the dysregulation of the IGF-1 axis that promotes hair loss. Some studies find that IGFBP2 and 4 are low, whereas others find IGFBP-3 (IGFBP-3 influences the bioavailability of
IGF-1) low (R). DHT (much more than testosterone) has actually been shown to increase IGFBP-3, so it should actually improve hair quality (R).

And in turn, androgens increase IGF-1 mRNA (R). So if IGF-1 is good, DHT should also be good since it boosts IGF-1.

Some people get an increase in IGF-1, which seems to be the helpful factor (R). Those without a change in IGF-1 didn’t experience benefits.

As I mentioned to Sam Empie in our podcast, the effects of finasteride are totally understudied. For example, when they design an SSRI drug (or any other drug really), they think it has only one function, but later on, it turns out that it has many other effects as well.

Similarly, finasteride has been thought to only inhibit 5-AR, but now it’s known that it also increases IGF-1 for some people as well. What other “beneficial” effects does it not also have.

We know about its side effect, which there is an extensive list of, but will we ever know why it really worked for some people? Most likely not, because the scientists think they have the mechanism of action figured out. But their hypothesis is wrong.

Conclusion​

DHT doesn’t cause hair loss. Most people that have hair loss also have other comorbidities, such as cardiovascular disease, diabetes, metabolic syndrome, gastrointestinal problems, etc.

Actually, a few studies have found that balding men are significantly more likely to get severe symptoms from COVID (R, R).

And this is because balding men are often not healthy and hair loss is just a sign/symptom of that.

Pretty good hypothesis. Artificial morality of the masses inclining we don't judge by the cover, yet for some odd reason we feel disgust at the baldcel and subconsciously we feel he is deathly ill (common subconscious associations: malnutrition, chemotherapy/tumors/cancer, weakness, underdevelopment).

Your thread seems to make sense, and to be true (if we and the users of this forum exclude our own biases), myself being a fin user.

One question though.

Does this mean then that dutasteride has a higher possibility of increasing IGF-1? Do stronger fin-like drugs simply raise the growth hormone?

DHT in hair loss​

DHT-hair-growth.jpg

DHT in balding men​

Conclusion​

retard post there are lots of healthy and fit bald men. Hair loss is caused by genetic hair follicle sensitivity to DHT. If increasing igf-1 solved hair loss the minoxidil should work forever.

Jerk off and go bald.

Most guys who go bald are nofapper types, or monkmode fags/guys ashamed of touching their dicks, or religious type nuts/preachers.

Traumatized men, strict parents, stressors growing up, etc. It all fuels the anti/ashamed dichotomy of fap and lose, or nofap to "fight."

Ironically the coomer meme depicts him as bald, but masturbators tend to not be balding as much as the intense, anti-masturbator types.

I would bet money that many of the balding or bald dudes are the ones who masturbate less, or are more ashamed of it/mental over it and have higher stress, tension/scalp inflammation, cortisol, prolactin, etc. Just read the Ray Peat shit, they are based on hairloss/metabolic link.

If anything, SHAME is at the root cause of balding, along with traumas, stressors, and shit epigenetics passed on to men more than women.

Who is more ashamed and stressed? An intense, anti-fapping freak who takes cold showers? Or the guy who tosses it and don't give a fuck, worrying not about what he does with his body, or what his body/mind tells him? Proud coomers are unlikely to bald if even partially healthy.

Last edited:

Jerk off and go bald.
How does prolactin cause balding?

Can confirm this is true. I’ve been maintaining my DHT levels for months at supraphysiological levels using 20% DHT gel and I’m haven’t had any hair loss at all.

My beard and chest hair growth has gone wild though.

Makes sense that it’s not DHT causing hair loss since they are so many bald Asian men with tiny dicks and no beard growth

• +1
Reactions: m0ss26 and reaper2
Interesting beyond me why balding doesn't get research and funding but foid science does

DHT is just one factor in hair loss, you can have a lot of DHT in your system and keep full head of hair without any issues, the eXpErTs call it "sensitivity" to DHT. The question that nobody answers is what is this "sensitivity" exactly, if you ask a sCiEnCe eXpErT, the only thing he will say GENETICS determine "sensitivity."
It's clear as a summer day that this is just dodging answer because they don't know, there must be a clear reason that nobody figured out yet why hair falls out like that, why in pretty much identical manner to everyone.
Why temples first? Why crown? Why not the sides?

The observation I made is that people with smaller skulls, with a smoother skull shape and a smaller forehead tend to go bald way less than people with the opposite traits.

• +1
Reactions: traeyoung and DR. NICKGA
Yeah I dont think dht causes any significant amount of hair loss. Its just the genetic predisposition to it that causes balding.

DHT is just one factor in hair loss, you can have a lot of DHT in your system and keep full head of hair without any issues, the eXpErTs call it "sensitivity" to DHT. The question that nobody answers is what is this "sensitivity" exactly, if you ask a sCiEnCe eXpErT, the only thing he will say GENETICS determine "sensitivity."
It's clear as a summer day that this is just dodging answer because they don't know, there must be a clear reason that nobody figured out yet why hair falls out like that, why in pretty much identical manner to everyone.
Why temples first? Why crown? Why not the sides?

The observation I made is that people with smaller skulls, with a smoother skull shape and a smaller forehead tend to go bald way less than people with the opposite traits.
My cousin has a smaller skull, with a smaller forehead and is fully bald.

As for the temples, supposedly that's because the follicles are more sensitive to testosterone in that area, and DHT is more responsible for the loss of density / the balding pattern on the scalp. It's not sensitivity to DHT, it's androgen receptors, so other androgens, such as testosterone, can bind to them, but DHT has a much higher binding affinity than testosterone.

There was someone who suggested using finesteride to lower DHT, so there's less in the scalp, and then use RU-58841 on the temples in a small dose.

My cousin has a smaller skull, with a smaller forehead and is fully bald.

As for the temples, supposedly that's because the follicles are more sensitive to testosterone in that area, and DHT is more responsible for the loss of density / the balding pattern on the scalp. It's not sensitivity to DHT, it's androgen receptors, so other androgens, such as testosterone, can bind to them, but DHT has a much higher binding affinity than testosterone.

There was someone who suggested using finesteride to lower DHT, so there's less in the scalp, and then use RU-58841 on the temples in a small dose.
There are exceptions to the rule, but in general zayn malik like midget skulls with flat galea don't go bald as often.
And again we are at the same question, why are temples specifically sensitive, there must be a reason why that part of head loses hair most often, there must be something that causes it beyond "sensitivity" that we don't know.

I think you might be onto something. I was at the store a while ago and I saw this dude in line in front of me who had a completely shaved head and with 0 norwooding at all. He had a completely intact hairline, and was probably in his 40s.

He also happened to have a super wrinkly scalp, I could literally see super visible dark wrinkles running laterally on his scalp, indicating he probably has a looser scalp because of his smaller skull shape.

I, on the other hand, have a huge skull and a very tight scalp and also started norwooding super young.

There's a hairloss YouTuber named Rob English, who also believes in the scalp tension theory, but a lot of people are calling him a grifter, so idk if he's legit or not. Just my experience.

There are exceptions to the rule, but in general zayn malik like midget skulls with flat galea don't go bald as often.
And again we are at the same question, why are temples specifically sensitive, there must be a reason why that part of head loses hair most often, there must be something that causes it beyond "sensitivity" that we don't know.
Zayn is a PSL god, not really a good counter for "exception to the rule". I've seen all kinds of skulls bald.

Apparently there was a study that showed areas with muscle tension had elevated levels of DHT, which might explain the temples receding first, as the DHT levels might be higher there, but like I mentioned previously, I've also heard that the temples are more likely to bind to testosterone.

However, this would still suggest the primary cause for balding is the androgens in the scalp. If it was solely to do with tension, then anti-androgens or DHT blockers would have no effect on hair growth.

The sensitivity of the androgen receptors on the hair follicles makes the most sense, as it explains why different skull shapes can go bald, and why in some races baldness is greatly reduced, or why some people can have high DHT levels with no MPB, and why MPB usually occurs in the early 20s as DHT levels rise.