Bigonial width - often neglected but one of the MOST IMPORTANT factors for facial attractiveness and harmony

Bewusst

Bewusst

dead inside
This isn't talked about enough here imo. Bigonial width is the distance between the two gonions (the edges of the mandible where it meets the ramus). It determines how wide the lower jaw looks from the front. If your bigonial width is a lot lower than your interzygomatic width (distance between the cheekbones), your lower jaw will look too narrow. Short ramus and tall chin can compensate for a low bgw to an extent, so can big masseter muscles.

Certain
Aging2

Low bigonial width examples:

Student union apologises for using zayn malik to front black history campaign 1364108290778039

Depositphotos 10350788 stock photo masculine man face

Tumblr oso3iiJ2fL1w5bzojo1 400

High/decent bgw examples:

Profile 1534841750 cddb2aef6f49b96071f4556e6137a4e9

Channing tatum model

Jeremy Meeks

Dd robbiesatchwell02

High/decent bgw makes the jaw look more masculine, square and harmonious from the front (given decent ramus length, gonial angle and fWHR). Low bgw can make the face look top-heavy, especially if the chin is short, and unphotogenic from the front.
I'd say that bigonial width is more important than ramus length and gonial angle because it determines lower jaw width and can make or break a front profile. Who cares if your maxilla is forward-grown and your ramus long if your lower jaw looks subhuman from the front due to low bgw in relation to the interzygomatic width? In fact, a long ramus makes someone with low bgw look worse and the mandible appear even smaller/narrower due to inward-tilt of the ramus. The more vertical the ramus, the better, because it ensures decent bgw. A noticeably inward-tilted ramus is a sign of low bgw in relation to interzygomatic width.

Unfortunately, the only way to increase bgw (or give the appearance of higher bgw) is jaw implants. Growing a beard and making the masseters bigger can help to an extent but won't make the face look ideal from the front. Fillers can be used too but are quite expensive long-term and won't last long.

• +1
Reactions: Heinrich Schmidt, Deleted member 43403, Boxingfan and 31 others
Agree 100%. Bigonial as wide as zygos looks masc and robust af.

• +1
Reactions: Heinrich Schmidt, Yerico7, Pumanator and 12 others
We will all get jaw implants brahs, we will make it, just believe 👆🙌🙏

• +1
  • JFL
  • Ugh..
Reactions: Heinrich Schmidt, vulcan_, zyMOGenic and 12 others
so, whats ideal?

Mine looks decently wide from the front, but I can't see the fucking ramus from the side, it gets me fucking upset because this shit is litterally one of the most aesthetically pleasing things jfl

• +1
Reactions: Marsiere214
This is why I compensate with chewing. Masseters will fraud the bgw. Even if facial bone development from chewing is a lie, muscles build.

• +1
Reactions: ๕ඞChick3ncu1ry, Deleted member 33579, animo123 and 2 others

• +1
  • Woah
  • JFL
Reactions: bleachmaxxer69, Heinrich Schmidt, Pumanator and 12 others
Mine looks decently wide from the front, but I can't see the fucking ramus from the side, it gets me fucking upset because this shit is litterally one of the most aesthetically pleasing things jfl
lose fat

• +1
Reactions: Banepilled, IWantToMax and Deleted member 3043
Enabling_eCommerce-_Small_Enterprises%2C_Global_Players_%2839008130265%29_%28cropped%29.jpg

legit but you need vertical height too.

• JFL
  • +1
Reactions: wombleboy12, bleachmaxxer69, Heinrich Schmidt and 9 others
so, whats ideal?
Couldn't find anything on this. Maybe someone can analyze attractive men's faces and come up with an ideal "interzygomatic/bigonial width ratio" or sth like that. Bgw close to izw would be ideal imo and ramus as vertical as possible.

• +1
Reactions: Gunna and Deleted member 3043
Legit. One of my biggest flaws. My bizygomatic width is 145mm, but my jaw is only 123mm. I don’t have developed masseter muscles though so that would help. The only redeeming factor of my lower third is my chin height, which is 78mm. :feelswhy:

• +1
Reactions: Toth's thot, Bewusst and Deleted member 3043
Couldn't find anything on this. Maybe someone can analyze attractive men's faces and come up with an ideal "interzygomatic/bigonial width ratio" or sth like that. Bgw close to izw would be ideal imo and ramus as vertical as possible.
Ramus should line up with mouth.

• +1
Reactions: PubertyMaxxer
  • +1
  • Ugh..
Reactions: Beastchodecode, PubertyMaxxer, joel17 and 5 others
jaw width, isn't that quite trivial?

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 3043
I'm not really that fat, I am at like 15%, I will drop to 12% after bulkin gup a bit, but I'm quite sure it won't have much of an effect on ramus

also, who's this?

profile-1534841750-cddb2aef6f49b96071f4556e6137a4e9.jpg

• Woah
Reactions: AscendingHero
I'm not really that fat, I am at like 15%, I will drop to 12% after bulkin gup a bit, but I'm quite sure it won't have much of an effect on ramus
Ofc it will. Fat covers your bones, including your ramus. You might not get a model side profile but it will improve regardless. Just see my thread in the rating section.
no no no.
it should be quite lower
I think this comes down to personal preference. I prefer gonions slightly above the mouth as well because I think it looks more aesthetic. Chico for example has this. Mine are lower than my mouth but I'm lacking bgw and chin height.
Enabling_eCommerce-_Small_Enterprises%2C_Global_Players_%2839008130265%29_%28cropped%29.jpg

legit but you need vertical height too.
His bgw is actually low compared to his midface.

Last edited:
  • +1
Reactions: IWantToMax
This isn't talked about enough here imo. Bigonial width is the distance between the two gonions (the edges of the mandible where it meets the ramus). It determines how wide the lower jaw looks from the front. If your bigonial width is a lot lower than your interzygomatic width (distance between the cheekbones), your lower jaw will look too narrow. Short ramus and tall chin can compensate for a low bgw to an extent, so can big masseter muscles.

View attachment 161309 View attachment 161313

Low bigonial width examples:

View attachment 161854
View attachment 161328
View attachment 161329
View attachment 161345

High/decent bgw examples:

View attachment 161331
View attachment 161332
View attachment 161336
View attachment 161344

High/decent bgw makes the jaw look more masculine, square and harmonious from the front (given decent ramus length, gonial angle and fWHR). Low bgw can make the face look top-heavy, especially if the chin is short, and unphotogenic from the front.
I'd say that bigonial width is more important than ramus length and gonial angle because it determines lower jaw width and can make or break a front profile. Who cares if your maxilla is forward-grown and your ramus long if your lower jaw looks subhuman from the front due to low bgw in relation to the interzygomatic width? In fact, a long ramus makes someone with low bgw look worse and the mandible appear even smaller/narrower due to inward-tilt of the ramus. The more vertical the ramus, the better, because it ensures decent bgw. A noticeably inward-tilted ramus is a sign of low bgw in relation to interzygomatic width.

Unfortunately, the only way to increase bgw (or give the appearance of higher bgw) is jaw implants. Growing a beard and making the masseters bigger can help to an extent but won't make the face look ideal from the front. Fillers can be used too but are quite expensive long-term and won't last long.
tbf mainstream teen girls actually like a lower bwg because it’s the slim pretty boy look

• JFL
  • Hmm...
Reactions: Short Ugly and Brown and Bewusst
it's not that important. forward grown chin what actually matters

• +1
  • JFL
Reactions: Deleted member 14695 and Deleted member 3202
Mine is wide but still narrower than zygos

• +1
Reactions: forwardgrowth
That’s my biggest flaw :feelswhy: :feelswhy: :feelswhy:

Good thread op!!

• +1
Reactions: Bewusst
Hmm I’m not sure there is an ideal bigonial width. It’s a matter of taste as to whether you want to look more “Dom” or more “Pretty Boy”. It’s definitely never good for it to be wider than zygo’s but I think you can definitely have a lower bigonial width and be super attractive to women: Plenty of Male Models have much wider zygos with narrower bigonial widths and look great, Lucky Blue Smith comes to mind,
4907243D 2484 40EC 942A 644147AD504B

however he has lower jaw angles so I guess that’s probably a prerequisite for pulling off narrow bigonial width...something to keep in mind if anyone wants more of a pretty boy/male model look.
7216F9CA 16AE 4780 B7C1 E7254E7606D7

Last edited:
Mine is wide but still narrower than zygos
That's normal. Izw should be a little higher than bgw. Just not excessively.

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 3962
I need to fix my recession for wider bigonial

Pitt bigonial or death

Does chewing help with bigonial like bone remodeling if you are young and not just massester?

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 32529
Believe me I don’t neglect it’s importance considering my bigonial is 9.5cm

In one of the old lookism threads they said the ideal was between 85% to 95%. Imo, it should never outstrip the zygos or be equal to them. The ideal is slightly narrower than the zygos, though there are, of course, exceptions.

• +1
Reactions: zeshama, Nisse and Cope
Mine is quite low, i need MSDO tbh

no bigonial width for your maxilla :cry:

8D4D622D F4DD 4A61 B9F6 D86BE5FD492E

What’s his name?

• +1
Reactions: Deprived
But bizygomatic width should be wider than bigonial width, Meeks has good BGW but his BZW is slightly wider.

My width is 10 cm, and I have hardly any jaw projection from the front and imo it looks shit in front profile selfies. Think this guy
81ae2ad838896db5abb62b51dab3b6da

Whereas my jaw becomes angular and sharp in an ID/passport pic very similair to this???
72ceb863b8488b5f5284e80f1ec94f4c

His ramus seems straight whereas mine isn't though. It's like the lower end of my ramus just shits into my skull or something. Can you fix that with jaw angle implants alone or do you always need to fix the chin with it?

My width is 10 cm, and I have hardly any jaw projection from the front and imo it looks shit in front profile selfies. Think this guy
View attachment 300584
Whereas my jaw becomes angular and sharp in an ID/passport pic very similair to this???
View attachment 300590

His ramus seems straight whereas mine isn't though. It's like the lower end of my ramus just shits into my skull or something. Can you fix that with jaw angle implants alone or do you always need to fix the chin with it?
possibly just lens distortion in your selfies

Care to explain how?
Big chin draws the attention away from the jaw and short ramus means longer mandible and less effect if the former is noticeably inward-tilted.

Big chin draws the attention away from the jaw and short ramus means longer mandible and less effect if the former is noticeably inward-tilted.
but that wont give the masculine rugged look from the front, it will just look rounded like oprys

View attachment 300584
View attachment 300590

First pic = my forehead/hairline.