My Genioplasty Journey

M

Max2809

Iron
My Looksmaxing Experience (so far) :

TL:DR: Genioplasty in Germany, Price: 10.800 €, Overall Success, No Nerve Damage, Overall Improvement

Hello Everyone, this is my first post and I’d like to contribute to this forum by sharing my Experience with Sliding Genioplasty. I will go into great detail so that hopefully someone else who is thinking about doing the same procedure is able to gain some insight. I would be happy to answer your questions, feel free to PM me if you’d like we could talk 1:1 as well that’s my way of giving back to this community which has allowed me to gain a lot of insight. My only request is for whomever posts under this thread to do so in a civil manner as I would love to see the people on here to collectively focus on improving our aesthetics and not abuse each other verbally.
—————————————————————
General Info - My Situation:
I have multiple symptoms of the „Long-Face Syndrome“. I was a chronic mouth breather with a crooked nose, recessed chin, crooked teeth, flat, somewhat long midface and a deviated septum. At the same time I have a decent browridge and lateral cheekbone projection, which makes me have „hollow cheeks“ under ideal light conditions. My eye area is also good as is my overall face shape from the front. My face would be considered „lean“ aka I have thin skin with not really any fat. Hair loss is also an issue, which I however managed to get under control. A Minor canthal asymmetry is also present, doesn’t bother much though. Age: 18

Phase 1: Consultation and Research

I have went to several doctors in Germany as well as Belgium (Dr. D who is now in retirement) for consultation. I will not be mentioning doctors names in full here in case this opens me up to lawsuits however I could tell them to you in PM or something if you’d like. I went to 7 Docs in total, 4 MKG (jaw) surgeons which are among the best in the country and two orthodontists. I have asked all whether they’d be willing to do Genioplasty or rather do Bimax/Le Fort 1 on me (which would be more expensive obviously).

Of the four surgeons one said he’d be willing to perform a Genioplasty and said I didn’t need a Bimax at all. Another surgeon initially also talked to me about genioplasty but said that a Bimax could be done but would be somewhat of an extreme measure in my case but could be performed. Surgeon Nr. 3 (Dr. D) said genioplasty would be good along with wraparound and infra implants and that there’s no need for Bimax. Surprisingly when he send me the E-Mail with a summary and simulations of what we discussed, he included a Bimax in the simulations. He is now retired. Surgeon Nr. 4 said Bimax is not necessary and I’d be satisfied with a genioplasty. Surgeon Nr. 4 according to reviews, his own statements and publications, is specialized in genioplasty and does it on a very regular basis.

What concerned me the most is the fact that all surgeons each quoted me different mms for advancement. Surgeon #1 quoted 5-7 mm depending on muscle stiffness, Surgeon #2 quoted 4-5 mm, Surgeon #3 quoted 8 mm and Surgeon #4 quoted 11 mm. I have done my own calculations on a 3D X-Ray which I had taken and there it seemed like 12 mm advancement would be necessary to properly align the chin (lips and philtrum), assuming the soft tissue would remain the same thickness.

Phase 2: The Surgery

I have decided to go with Surgeon #4. The surgery cost me 10.800 € in total, including anesthesia fees and a one-night stay at the clinic. This is a very high price, higher than that of the other surgeons - Surgeon #1 7000-8000 € depending on duration, Surgeon #2 ~ 4500 €, Surgeon #3 5000-6000 € and much higher than the average price here in Germany according to Google 3000-4000 €.

I arrived at the clinic early in the morning, got dressed and was on the operating table within an hour. I had an IV needle inserted in my arm, was talking to the anesthesiologist before suddenly waking up on a hospital bed with a monitor beeping next to me. That was the surgery itself.

Very surprisingly I discovered that despite my genioplasty having occurred merely an hour ago, I could already feel my lips and chin essentially the same way as before. They were hugely swollen but I could feel them nonetheless, so it’s safe to say the nerve wasn’t damaged. I didn’t have pain at any point after the surgery, yet significant bleeeding. The next day, the doctor talked to me again, said that the surgery went well and mentioned that the chin bone was moved 9 mm - which I am fine with as the doctor said that it is very difficult to predict how soft tissue will react therefore the ideal position can only be seen during surgery itself. I have attached a picture of the post surgery X-Ray below, I will however not publish a picture of myself for privacy reasons.

Phase 3: The Result

I took of the wrap around my neck after a week as advised by my doctor. I looked absolutely horrendous - my face was even longer, lost its shape and looked simply horrible.

Well… The week after it looked great. Thus, beware of swelling. Now the important part:

The chin was brought forward and down as can be seen in the X-Ray. This corresponds to a natural extension of the mandible, therefore keeping my jawline natural.

Frontally, the result looks absolutely natural, I’d even say my lower third has improved although I also liked how I looked from the front before.

Profile wise, the result looks natural. The shape of the chin didn’t change much, it is not sharp and rather round and is behind the lips, nevertheless it is an improvement as it would not be considered recessed anymore.

Attachments

• B034E3C1-D6A0-4515-A020-62AC1BBFB535.jpeg
    B034E3C1-D6A0-4515-A020-62AC1BBFB535.jpeg
    593.6 KB · Views: 0
  • +1
  • Love it
  • JFL
Reactions: reddotguy, jamesjohnsmith1959, sanchez451 and 6 others
Great first post. Greycels are the only ones who actually get surgery jfl

Last edited:
  • +1
Reactions: Shrekguy3838, Lookologist003, Daniel Plainview and 4 others
11k € for a genioplastly alone?
You've been scammed, bro.

• +1
  • So Sad
Reactions: jamesjohnsmith1959, Deleted member 20064, 5'7 zoomer and 8 others
are you british?

Attachments

• 38hspk.jpg
    38hspk.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 0
  • JFL
  • +1
Reactions: Deleted member 23219, 5'7 zoomer, FinasterideAt17 and 2 others
He went to top doctors
Still scammed but result is result
Genio aint rocket science bro, get good planning done by @RealSurgerymax then take it to any old doctor that is willing to do it, cant go wrong when you have custom cut guides and plates

• +1
Reactions: Oxygen
All you needed to do was bonesmash your chin

• JFL
Reactions: 5'7 zoomer and 5.5psl
Great first post. Greycels are the only ones who actually get surgery jfl
Thanks. Yes it was very expensive, however my opinion is that that shouldn’t really be a point of concern when it comes to having someone cut up your body

• +1
Reactions: sanchez451 and Oxygen
Jfl you would have gotten a better result if you just fixed your pronathism you retard.

• +1
Reactions: Daniel Plainview, 5'7 zoomer, VenatorLuparius and 1 other person
How was the chin width from the front affected? Looking at getting similar advancement and that's the only thing in really worried about tbh

What were the exact movements? 9mm forward and how much vertical?

Genio aint rocket science bro, get good planning done by @RealSurgerymax then take it to any old doctor that is willing to do it, cant go wrong when you have custom cut guides and plates
Are you dumb, most oral surgeons dont do vertical movement and many I've talked too only do up to 6mm movement. Other genio surgeons can do much bigger movements like 12mm forward 5mm vertical. Surgeon is everything. "cant go wrong when you have custom cut guides and plates" mfer you want him to drop his own plans in the lap of a legit surgeon and say "get it done". A good surgeon would know a hell of a out more about cuts and plates than any .org user.

• +1
Reactions: sanchez451
Are you dumb, most oral surgeons dont do vertical movement and many I've talked too only do up to 6mm movement. Other genio surgeons can do much bigger movements like 12mm forward 5mm vertical. Surgeon is everything. "cant go wrong when you have custom cut guides and plates" mfer you want him to drop his own plans in the lap of a legit surgeon and say "get it done". A good surgeon would know a hell of a out more about cuts and plates than any .org user.
Do you know anything about realsurgerymaxx? He is an implant design, plans bimaxes, etc... he is a professional not just some '.org user'. Designed my implants and they mog anything else anyone else could have designed

Attachments

• bfafter.png
    bfafter.png
    3.1 MB · Views: 0
11k for a mere genio rofl.

You’re a sucker. Scammer surgeon did not even use custom plates.

How was the chin width from the front affected? Looking at getting similar advancement and that's the only thing in really worried about tbh
Chin width didn’t change in the sense that it got wider overall due to forward movement but in line with the previous shape. (Wasn’t narrow and suddenly got square if that’s what you mean).

What were the exact movements? 9mm forward and how much vertical?
To be fair, I didn’t ask him that. It might also be that he meant the diagonal which moved.

I would say don’t worry too much about how many mms here and there. From my experience genioplasty cannot/ will not change your chin bone itself, it will move it. And the only way to move it properly is along the already predetermined line (jawline) created by the mandible. Maybe there are other surgeries (chin wing, special Bimax) that can alter the overall shape of mandible/chin but I think a surgeon can tell you more.

Jfl you would have gotten a better result if you just fixed your pronathism you retard.
I have no prognathism. also read disclaimer

• JFL
Reactions: 5'7 zoomer and Deleted member 21044
  • +1
Reactions: 5'7 zoomer, VenatorLuparius and Deleted member 22623
If you consider there to be prognathism then be civil and explain why I’ll listen.
ur bite is kinda fucked
like teth are too forward

ur bite is kinda fucked
like teth are too forward
Oh yeah that’s true but funnily enough I wouldn’t consider that an aesthetic flaw. It makes my lips protrude appear fuller from the front yet natural which although making the chin appear worse has been alleviated by said genioplasty.

• +1
Reactions: agoostis
@5.5psl I cannot open your DM, when I click on it, it says conversation cannot be found. If you want send me your discord or something

Oh yeah that’s true but funnily enough I wouldn’t consider that an aesthetic flaw. It makes my lips protrude appear fuller from the front yet natural which although making the chin appear worse has been alleviated by said genioplasty.
don’t you have a crazy deep mentolabial fold now tho?

don’t you have a crazy deep mentolabial fold now tho?
Nope not at all I think it could even be deeper. But I think that’s cuz of the plates

Well written post, but show pictures of lower third (no need for full face ofc) before/after if possible.

@agoostis @Mr.Proper

Here you go Before/After picture:

Before:

BB8A4220 6925 46DC A414 2D468A3CFB4C

After:

D34BD654 C254 43EF 9309 AE6C2F748313

• +1
  • JFL
Reactions: 5'7 zoomer, Mr.Proper, agoostis and 2 others
how to fix? i have slight
Why would you want to have it fixed? Depending on your situation of course, prognathism in my case (“Vorgesicht”) is actually considered aesthetic in both men and women according to studies. I obviously don’t know your case but there is usually no need to surgically fix it. That is you should still wear braces but it won’t change your lips significantly, you would first need to have your teeth move back and then have your upper lip shortened (bull horn Plasty). Mind that this is my own opinion as well as what I’ve gathered from my surgeons if your case would be the same as mine and I am in no way a medical professional.

• JFL
Reactions: Deleted member 21044
Why would you want to have it fixed? Depending on your situation of course, prognathism in my case (“Vorgesicht”) is actually considered aesthetic in both men and women according to studies. I obviously don’t know your case but there is usually no need to surgically fix it. That is you should still wear braces but it won’t change your lips significantly, you would first need to have your teeth move back and then have your upper lip shortened (bull horn Plasty). Mind that this is my own opinion as well as what I’ve gathered from my surgeons if your case would be the same as mine and I am in no way a medical professional.
Neil de grasse tyson when the coping is too strong

• JFL
Reactions: 5'7 zoomer
@agoostis @Mr.Proper

Here you go Before/After picture:

Before:

View attachment 2143008

After:

View attachment 2143011

You need to move your entire maxilla upwards and forward then expand your intercanine width, not get Genio.

The root of the problem isn't your chin, it's your entire maxilla. Only once you address this you will improve your terrible jaw angle.

Last edited:
You need to move your entire maxilla upwards and forward then expand your intercanine width, not get Genio.

The root of the problem isn't your chin, it's your maxilla. Only once you address this you will improve your terrible jaw angle.
That is an actually very interesting statement and I thought exactly the same. To add to that, I had scleral show and I thought a big issue is also VME (vertical maxillary excess). May I ask based on what you came to the conclusion that the problem is the jaw angle/maxilla?

10k for a genio
Lmao lol

• +1
Reactions: VenatorLuparius
That is an actually very interesting statement and I thought exactly the same. To add to that, I had scleral show and I thought a big issue is also VME (vertical maxillary excess). May I ask based on what you came to the conclusion that the problem is the jaw angle/maxilla?
Your orbitals are comprised of your frontal bone, your zygomatics, and part of your maxilla. If you want attractive eyes your orbitals have to be wide and compact.

Your undereye support is mainly determined by your zygo projection. You can achieve pseudo-projection by getting implants but that will only give the illusion of forward growth.

Your only chance of achieving true projection is moving your maxilla upwards, since your zygos rest on your maxilla.

Of course all of that not only will eliminate your scleral show but it will also improve your PFL and overall harmony.

Last edited:
Ok well that sounds like Le Fort 3 which well just simply isn’t an option. My eye area is decent, my zygos could use going forward a bit more. But again, why’d you think that genioplasty wouldn’t have been necessary for me and instead width and maxilla?

Ok well that sounds like Le Fort 3 which well just simply isn’t an option. My eye area is decent, my zygos could use going forward a bit more. But again, why’d you think that genioplasty wouldn’t have been necessary for me and instead width and maxilla?
Your lower mandible is a slave to your upper mandible. If you expand your intercanine width your chin widens. In the same way, if you move your upper jaw forward, your lower jaw will upswing and "catch up."

Your upper jaw doesn't really lack projection, it's long enough. It's just pointing in the wrong direction.

The singular problem with your genio is that you moved your chin forward, but the angle remained the same.

In short, the root of the problem wasn't your chin, but your entire maxilla.

Last edited:
  • +1
Reactions: Max2809
I have to respect your courage for taking the risk and getting surgery. I wish you well.

• Love it
Reactions: king_bandon
Broad assumptions about OP by some users here, but bigger picture is needed, like entire 3D scan or side profile pic, to guess it actually right.

Broad assumptions about OP by some users here, but bigger picture is needed, like entire 3D scan or side profile pic, to guess it actually right.
I agree people are saying way too much with little to no information.

@Max2809 OP, would you send a picture of your chin before and after from the front? I really wanna do a genio, my movement will be close to what you got from my calculations, but im afraid my chin will get timothee chalameted. I believe the advancement may change it too much from the front

I agree people are saying way too much with little to no information.

@Max2809 OP, would you send a picture of your chin before and after from the front? I really wanna do a genio, my movement will be close to what you got from my calculations, but im afraid my chin will get timothee chalameted. I believe the advancement may change it too much from the front
I can but I’d rather send it to you personally.

• +1
Reactions: chemosh