Surgical Options For Recessed Mandible

brb7

brb7

beef + eggs + no salt
I analyzed my face and came to the conclusions that

- my maxilla is forward grown
- my gonial angle is good (~110 degrees)
- ramus length is average

My mandible, however, is recessed and even though the angle is good it just does not extend far enough.

The chin does not extend up to my lips (did the test were you hold a q-tip down from lower lip at 90 degree angle).

What would be the advantages of BSSO vs Genioplasty in this situation?

Is your bite and lip posture OK?

If yes: genio
If no: BSSO

• +1
Reactions: brb7 and Deleted member 4397
Post side

• Woah
Reactions: brb7

wb chin wing vs genio if bite and lip posture are good? same situation as op

• +1

I never had any problems

But holy shit I'm kind of shocked. just looked up how to measure an overbite and looked at myself in the mirror and im closer to the overbite vs normal posture in this picture

No dentist ever said anything though?

Also my lower lip is slightly behind my upper lip

Depends how much advancement you need/desire. If you're going for as much forward growth as you can get, do both BSSO and genio.

• +1
Depends how much advancement you need/desire. If you're going for as much forward growth as you can get, do both BSSO and genio.
Would BSSO have the advantage of pushing the lower lip forward by proxy?

My lower lip is slightly behind similar to blue smith

I planned on just getting a genio and that would be the end of my hardmaxxing, but @Foreverbrad redpilled me that i might even have overbite

Would BSSO have the advantage of pushing the lower lip forward by proxy?

My lower lip is slightly behind similar to blue smith

I planned on just getting a genio and that would be the end of my hardmaxxing, but @Foreverbrad redpilled me that i might even have overbite
View attachment 2493106
Yeah genio doesn't bring the lip forward, only BSSO does. I have an overbite but couldn't get BSSO so I got genio instead. BSSO is ideal but if you don't care about your bite then you could probably get away with genio only. As a bonus you wouldn't have to wear braces.

• +1
Yeah genio doesn't bring the lip forward, only BSSO does. I have an overbite but couldn't get BSSO so I got genio instead. BSSO is ideal but if you don't care about your bite then you could probably get away with genio only. As a bonus you wouldn't have to wear braces.
Makes sense. So with BSSO you would probably need more pre-surgery time etc. Im already late 20s so idk if I want to wait that long

Why did BSSO not work in your case?

Also I already wore braces as a child so my teeth are perfectly aligned but the bite still looks more like an overbite from the front in that the upper teeth cover some of the lower teeth

Makes sense. So with BSSO you would probably need more pre-surgery time etc. Im already late 20s so idk if I want to wait that long

Why did BSSO not work in your case?
Yeah I was in braces for 3 years but when I went to my surgeon for bsso pre op I learned that my ortho basically botched me. I don’t think this is common though. If your bite is already good you might want to just do genio, I’d consult with a surgeon and see what they say.

• +1
Yeah I was in braces for 3 years but when I went to my surgeon for bsso pre op I learned that my ortho basically botched me. I don’t think this is common though. If your bite is already good you might want to just do genio, I’d consult with a surgeon and see what they say.
thats brutal, 3 years wasted bc of his incompetence

• So Sad
Reactions: RoyaleWithCheese