Any skincare questions?

Could you recommend any joint moisturizers/suncreams

• +1
Reactions: |Daddy_Zygos|
Also, I've a question. How much better than SPF50 is SPF100? I saw an explanation say that SPF30 means your skin is 30x less likely to be damaged by UV rays. But based on what? So SPF1 would mean you're 1 time less likely to get burned, SPF2 would be double that.. But what's the metric? The explanation I read seemed pretty ambiguous and unclear.
Honestly, Michelle explains it more succinctly here that I ever could:

If you've got any questions after that, feel free to ask. I'm not palming you off- Michelle is just a vastly better writer than I am.

• +1
Reactions: Pendejo, Ethnicsmatter and Seth Walsh
Honestly, Michelle explains it more succinctly here that I ever could:

If you've got any questions after that, feel free to ask. I'm not palming you off- Michelle is just a vastly better writer than I am.
Honestly you're a fucking legend on here. Thanks so much

• +1
Reactions: RAITEIII
No problem. You know where I am if you need me.
That was a great article! Luckily it's hard for me to burn even without suncream since I'm type 2-3 skin and used MT2 in the past, so the extra melanin also acts as a protectant. And it seems to have had some long lasting positive effects (years after stopping).

• +1
Reactions: Pendejo
That was a great article! Luckily it's hard for me to burn even without suncream since I'm type 2-3 skin and used MT2 in the past, so the extra melanin also acts as a protectant. And it seems to have had some long lasting positive effects (years after stopping).
Michelle is a really great resource in general if you ever wanted to waste some time on the science of skincare. She also has a sunscreen spreadsheet which can be really useful too.

• +1
Reactions: Seth Walsh
I’ve been using 0.025% Retin A for the past two weeks every night and my skin is handling it great. Very minimal purge and no flaky skin. Would it smart to move up to 0.05%?

Hey dude could you tell me how could I improve my skincare routine please? My goal is to prevent ageing as much as I possibly can...I'd like to specifically target fine lines under my eyes and nasalobial folds

AM :

Avene cleanser (the one in your guide)
La roche posay vitamin C serum
La roche posay effaclar duo + SPF 30 (included)

PM

Avene cleanser (twice)
Argan oil

Huge thanks in advance

Does minoxidil only deteriorate skin on the area applied or can I apply to scalp without problems?

Its been a few weeks since I posted one of these so I thought that it might be time for another thread where I will do my best to answer whatever skincare/personal care product questions you might have.

As always, I work as a cosmetic chemist so my wheelhouse is products rather than supplements or treatments but other than that, ask away.

I’ve been using 0.025% Retin A for the past two weeks every night and my skin is handling it great. Very minimal purge and no flaky skin. Would it smart to move up to 0.05%?
I'd wait a while longer.

Hey dude could you tell me how could I improve my skincare routine please? My goal is to prevent ageing as much as I possibly can...I'd like to specifically target fine lines under my eyes and nasalobial folds

AM :

Avene cleanser (the one in your guide)
La roche posay vitamin C serum
La roche posay effaclar duo + SPF 30 (included)

PM

Avene cleanser (twice)
Argan oil

Huge thanks in advance
How are you finding your current routine? A retinoid would probably be the best thing to add. You'll see some immediate results from a good humectant like hyaluronic acid though too.

Does minoxidil only deteriorate skin on the area applied or can I apply to scalp without problems?
I don't have much experience with minoxidil, sorry bro.

• +1
Reactions: SexyMofo, Deleted member 2621 and Zdeweilx
I'd wait a while longer.

How are you finding your current routine? A retinoid would probably be the best thing to add. You'll see some immediate results from a good humectant like hyaluronic acid though too.

I don't have much experience with minoxidil, sorry bro.
I kinda like it but it made my nasalobial folds a bit more visible. I assume that's because my skin is better moisturized now?
I'd rather have semi-permanent results instead of hiding my flaws with retinoids, which hyaluronic acid product should I implement in my routine please?

I kinda like it but it made my nasalobial folds a bit more visible. I assume that's because my skin is better moisturized now?
I'd rather have semi-permanent results instead of hiding my flaws with retinoids, which hyaluronic acid product should I implement in my routine please?
It could be, or it could just be that you're paying more attention to your skin now than you did before.
Retinoids don't hide the flaws, but in terms of hyaluronic products theres a few recommendations in the guide. My current personal favourites are the Hada Labo Gokujun Premium Lotion or the Niod MMHC2.

• +1
Reactions: RAITEIII and Zdeweilx
It could be, or it could just be that you're paying more attention to your skin now than you did before.
Retinoids don't hide the flaws, but in terms of hyaluronic products theres a few recommendations in the guide. My current personal favourites are the Hada Labo Gokujun Premium Lotion or the Niod MMHC2.
Thanks, will get my hands on one of those
Don't skin benefits from retinoids disappear as soon as one stops using it?

Don't skin benefits from retinoids disappear as soon as one stops using it?
You mean in the same way that your body stops benefiting from the food you ate after a few hours?
Its the same with literally any skincare dude.

You mean in the same way that your body stops benefiting from the food you ate after a few hours?
Its the same with literally any skincare dude.
Lol no but more in the sense that retinoids are like upgraded face powders
Also doesnt it increase sun sensibility. In scared of its side effects tbh

Lol no but more in the sense that retinoids are like upgraded face powders
Also doesnt it increase sun sensibility. In scared of its side effects tbh
Upgraded face powders? Sorry, not sure what you mean.
Yeah, they do cause photosensitivity, but if you're already using sunscreen it shouldn't be an issue. Its fine though- don't feel like you have to use a retinoid :)

• +1
Reactions: Zdeweilx
What is the standard care for uneven skin tone?
Is red light therapy worth it? Do I need to wear eye protection?

Hi, my skin was really good but now it is really dry and i have large pores. I am using spf, mouisturizer and cleanser on daily basis. And i wasnt using any of those before. Do you recommend anything extra? Or should i just wait and keep doing the same routine if i see improvements? I heard niamicide is good for pores.

Is Vaseline on eybrows and eyelashes cope? And is it bad to use it to protect the skin?

So I moisturize twice a day with cerave
Moisturizing-cream-16oz.png

And I know it's a good moisturizer but I feel like my skin is still dehydrated, what can I add for additional moisturizing, to make my skin more 'glowing' and not so dull? I use tretinoin only 3-4x a week so it's not what is causing dehydration.
I know hyaluronic acid is good for that but the cerave product already contains some.
Do you think the petroleum jelly vaseline is good for that or if not what other product do you recommend? what about aloe vera gel?
I'm not sure about the petroleum jelly because some say it's bad for pores and can cause more acne

What is the standard care for uneven skin tone?
Is red light therapy worth it? Do I need to wear eye protection?
As far as topicals go, niacinamide, azelaic acid and vitamin C.
I've used it in the past but only in clinic and even then its really not my area of expertise, sorry bro.
Hi, my skin was really good but now it is really dry and i have large pores. I am using spf, mouisturizer and cleanser on daily basis. And i wasnt using any of those before. Do you recommend anything extra? Or should i just wait and keep doing the same routine if i see improvements? I heard niamicide is good for pores.
What products are you using? My gut reaction is either your cleanser isn't right/too harsh or your moisturiser isn't enough.
Is Vaseline on eybrows and eyelashes cope? And is it bad to use it to protect the skin?
In terms of getting them to grow? Yeah, 100% bullshit. It'll condition the hair so it looks better, but thats about it. Nope, not bad to use it to protect the skin, its a great occlusive that gets an undeserved bad rep.
Amusingly bad advice.
So I moisturize twice a day with cerave
Moisturizing-cream-16oz.png

And I know it's a good moisturizer but I feel like my skin is still dehydrated, what can I add for additional moisturizing, to make my skin more 'glowing' and not so dull? I use tretinoin only 3-4x a week so it's not what is causing dehydration.
I know hyaluronic acid is good for that but the cerave product already contains some.
Do you think the petroleum jelly vaseline is good for that or if not what other product do you recommend? what about aloe vera gel?
I'm not sure about the petroleum jelly because some say it's bad for pores and can cause more acne
It absolutely could be the tretinoin causing the dehydration. Hyaluronic is great in that it can be layered, so a hyaluronic based serum would likely go really well under the moisturiser (just don't use too much or it might tend to pill up and roll off the skin). Other humectants that could be helpful are glycerin, urea and propylene glycol.
Petroleum jelly won't actually hydrate the skin, but what it will do is act as an occlusive and prevent transepidermal water loss so yeah, a layer overnight might help you. As I said further up in this post, petroleum jelly gets a really bad rep when realistically it doesn't deserve it. It might be problematic for some people, but for the vast majority its non comedogenic despite what people will tell you.

• +1
Reactions: gymislife
This is a post i made a week ago so u can see some pics of my skin:

I use retin a since 45-50 days 3 times a week cause it gave me some irritation. I use this:
View attachment 257556
it’s the liquid version cause it was the only way to get it without prescription in my stupid country
I also dermarolling once a week with derminator 2 for skin and hairline
Ma come la metti sta cazzo di cosa? Se vai in farmacia e chiedi tretinoina same in crema te la dan pure senza ricetta nonostante serva,senza alcuna storia

In the morning after cleansing, I mix 1 part vitamin C powder with 5 parts water and put it on my face. It stings a bit for a while and my face reddens a little bit. Is this a bad sign? Is it better to mix it with another ingredient before putting it on my face, or less vitamin C?

You told this is not your expertise but I ask anyway ;) : I use IPL, eMatrix and dermarolling on my face to reduce pore size and improve collagen. Especially eMatrix is really expensive. How is the effectiveness of these treatments compared to a good skincare routine (which is orders of magnitude more affordable)?

In the morning after cleansing, I mix 1 part vitamin C powder with 5 parts water and put it on my face. It stings a bit for a while and my face reddens a little bit. Is this a bad sign? Is it better to mix it with another ingredient before putting it on my face, or less vitamin C?

You told this is not your expertise but I ask anyway ;) : I use IPL, eMatrix and dermarolling on my face to reduce pore size and improve collagen. Especially eMatrix is really expensive. How is the effectiveness of these treatments compared to a good skincare routine (which is orders of magnitude more affordable)?
Its normal for that concentration of ascorbic acid to sting slightly, especially if you've not been using it for very long or you're doing more invasive treatments. If it borders into actually painful or the redness stays for any length of time, lay off for a bit.

Remember that nothing is going to actually reduce pore size- thats determined by genetics. Any treatment is going to improve the appearance of pore size, some lasting longer than others.
If you can comfortably afford it, go for it with the treatments, but if you can't, don't bother. They will definitely improve your skin, but I wouldn't say that it is worth going into debt or other stupid shit for.

Its normal for that concentration of ascorbic acid to sting slightly, especially if you've not been using it for very long or you're doing more invasive treatments. If it borders into actually painful or the redness stays for any length of time, lay off for a bit.

Remember that nothing is going to actually reduce pore size- thats determined by genetics. Any treatment is going to improve the appearance of pore size, some lasting longer than others.
If you can comfortably afford it, go for it with the treatments, but if you can't, don't bother. They will definitely improve your skin, but I wouldn't say that it is worth going into debt or other stupid shit for.
Thank you, doing God's work! No my financial situation is healthy, I mostly wanted to know that I don't pay money for something that doesn't do anything.

Is using oil like olive or sesame oil good as a cleanser? I had terrible skin and white flakes might have been eczema but im not sure. And then a friend of my mother that is working in some skin clinic recommended using oil.And now i dont have flakes at all but still some acne so i wondered what else i can do. I already est like a fucking monk no sugar no dairy no fastfood for over a year. Should i add retin a and derma rolling or will it fuck me when i have sensitiv skin

Is using oil like olive or sesame oil good as a cleanser? I had terrible skin and white flakes might have been eczema but im not sure. And then a friend of my mother that is working in some skin clinic recommended using oil.And now i dont have flakes at all but still some acne so i wondered what else i can do. I already est like a fucking monk no sugar no dairy no fastfood for over a year. Should i add retin a and derma rolling or will it fuck me when i have sensitiv skin
I'm not a fan of that kind of thing as a cleanser, you're just not going to be able to get it all off your skin. There are plenty of cleansers that are formulated for incredibly dry and sensitive skin. If you're particularly sensitive I'd probably recommend trying a salicylic acid product before you hit the retinoids.

I'm not a fan of that kind of thing as a cleanser, you're just not going to be able to get it all off your skin. There are plenty of cleansers that are formulated for incredibly dry and sensitive skin. If you're particularly sensitive I'd probably recommend trying a salicylic acid product before you hit the retinoids.
Yeah there is some of it left on the skin but its not visible. What do you think of derma rolling? Also i have some weird stripes under my eyes that go a long way to my cheekbone it looks like extended under eye circles i was told it comes from a resessed maxilla is that true? Or is it somehow treatable

Is it true that facial massages can improve collagen production? I decided to try and idk if because of the blood flow increase or what but it made my dark circles go away for a bit 😲

• +1
Reactions: yang
What do you think about kojic acid soap?

Yeah there is some of it left on the skin but its not visible. What do you think of derma rolling? Also i have some weird stripes under my eyes that go a long way to my cheekbone it looks like extended under eye circles i was told it comes from a resessed maxilla is that true? Or is it somehow treatable
Microneedling isn't really my area of expertise, but from what I know, I think it's great if it's done properly. I'm not sure quite what you mean about the under eye thing though so cant comment.
Is it true that facial massages can improve collagen production? I decided to try and idk if because of the blood flow increase or what but it made my dark circles go away for a bit 😲
I dont know about it doing a hell of a lot to increase collagen production but facial massage is great. The improvement in dark circles was likely due to improved lymphatic drainage.
What do you think about kojic acid soap?
Honestly I'm not overly a fan of either skin lightening or soap so it's kind of a non starter for me.

• Woah
Reactions: RAITEIII
Are the 5 step and 10 step Korean skincare routines good?
Skin lightening I'm not going to touch with a 40 foot barge pole. Like I said in the guide, dealing with hyperpigmentation is one thing, lightening the skin tone as a whole is a whole 'nother (often dangerous) ball game.
I am naturally pale but I have a bit of a tan right now, I don't like it and I'm not sure about what can I do to go back to my natural colour

Last edited:
Are the 5 step and 10 step Korean skincare routines good?

I am naturally pale but I have a bit of a tan right now, I don't like it and I'm not sure about what can I do to go back to my natural colour
Couldn't say either way as a whole. Would depend on the individual routine and products.
If its just a tan, it'll fade in time.
Could you recommend any joint moisturizers/suncreams
Sorry, just realised that I missed this one. Theres some moisturisers in my guide that have SPF in them but to be completely honest, I would always wear a separate SPF.

Last edited:
What do you think about moisturizers like Aveeno and lubriderm?

What do you think about moisturizers like Aveeno and lubriderm?
I'm personally allergic to a lot of the Aveeno moisturisers for some reason, but I know a lot of people that think they are great. As far as Lubriderm goes, they have good, basic moisturisers that will get the job done.

• +1
Reactions: RAITEIII and yang
Ma come la metti sta cazzo di cosa? Se vai in farmacia e chiedi tretinoina same in crema te la dan pure senza ricetta nonostante serva,senza alcuna storia

Con i dischetti di cotone, io ho provato a chiedere in farmacia senza ricetta e non me l’hanno data, appena finisco questa boccetta vado a in farmacia con quella così sembra che ce l’abbia prescritta e mi faccio dare la crema

What products are you using? My gut reaction is either your cleanser isn't right/too harsh or your moisturiser isn't enough.

I am using mustela as spf, sebamed gentle facial cleanser for dry skin and cerave mousturizer for dry skin. But its been only 2 weeks. But there were a lot of dead skin before this routine and i was rubbing them of with some towels and i think it damaged my skin. Now skin doesnt get dry and i dont need to rub anything of thanks to my routine i guess. But i feel like it is not enough to repair my skin.

@benignice one day using a trashy humectant and already see my skin different lol. THANK YOU.

I need to learn more about transdermal water loss, I'm sure I have this problem. And also the lymphatic system...

:love: mirin your knowledge. The silicone primer was cope though

Last edited:
Con i dischetti di cotone, io ho provato a chiedere in farmacia senza ricetta e non me l’hanno data, appena finisco questa boccetta vado a in farmacia con quella così sembra che ce l’abbia prescritta e mi faccio dare la crema
Ma chiama prima di andare e di di mettertene una da parte, è una crema ,impossibile che da te non la diano
L Airol te lo danno e la tretinoina no? Che idioti

Now skin doesnt get dry and i dont need to rub anything of thanks to my routine i guess. But i feel like it is not enough to repair my skin.
So hang on, I'm not quite sure what the issue is? Is the skin dry and irritated now? Or is it just that you feel like it needs to be repaired for whatever reason?
@benignice one day using a trashy humectant and already see my skin different lol. THANK YOU.

I need to learn more about transdermal water loss, I'm sure I have this problem. And also the lymphatic system...

:love: mirin your knowledge. The silicone primer was cope though
Yup, thats what a bit of hydration will do for you lol.
For transepidermal water loss, have you read the bit that I wrote about it in my skincare guide?
With the silicone primer- were you using it to hide sebaceous filaments or the indents from pores?

So hang on, I'm not quite sure what the issue is? Is the skin dry and irritated now? Or is it just that you feel like it needs to be repaired for whatever reason?

I can deal with the dryness with my routine so far but my pores are big and it bothers me especially under direct lightning. It is like a different texture. My forehead is perfect but cheeks are not looking good.

Yup, thats what a bit of hydration will do for you lol.
For transepidermal water loss, have you read the bit that I wrote about it in my skincare guide?
With the silicone primer- were you using it to hide sebaceous filaments or the indents from pores?
Any last second skin hacks?

What do you think about this guys routine? To get a glowing skin as an ethnic instead of a dusty skin

1.) Wash 2.) Tone 3.) Moisturize
Cetpahil Thayer's Witch Hazel
Exfoliate Towel (Use no more than ONCE every 4-6 days)
Raw African Shea Butter Organic Coconut Oil Vitamin E

I can deal with the dryness with my routine so far but my pores are big and it bothers me especially under direct lightning. It is like a different texture. My forehead is perfect but cheeks are not looking good.
Are you using any chemical exfoliants? Particularly BHAs?
Any last second skin hacks?
What? Like to try to fix skin in a hurry?
What do you think about this guys routine? To get a glowing skin as an ethnic instead of a dusty skin

1.) Wash 2.) Tone 3.) Moisturize
Cetpahil Thayer's Witch Hazel
Exfoliate Towel (Use no more than ONCE every 4-6 days)
Raw African Shea Butter Organic Coconut Oil Vitamin E

I mean, it seems to work for him but I'm not a fan.
- I don't like the Cetaphil cleanser
- Thayer's toner I'm not a massive fan of personally but I know a lot of people that are.
- I'm not sure what that towel is made from? From what I could see it just seemed to be a microfiber towel? Either way, I tend to prefer always cleansing using a washcloth or microfiber towel of some sort and just being much more gentle than he was being in that video.
- That moisturising mixture isn't going to work for many people, and even then its going to feel greasy as fuck.

Last edited:
  • +1
Reactions: Ethnicsmatter
Are you using any chemical exfoliants? Particularly BHAs?

What? Like to try to fix skin in a hurry?
Just spf100 and Adapalene atm. Put on some DNA code firming cream too, which has a load of shit in it like matryxl3000 pentapeptide18 syn-tacks etc

Just spf100 and Adapalene atm. Put on some DNA code firming cream too, which has a load of shit in it like matryxl3000 pentapeptide18 syn-tacks etc
I'm not sure what you're asking. Are you wanting a routine or asking how to make your skin look better for a last minute thing?

• +1
Reactions: Ethnicsmatter
I'm not sure what you're asking. Are you wanting a routine or asking how to make your skin look better for a last minute thing?
How to make skin look better as a last minute thing.

Any thanks for your help btw