What to say to orthodontist (pls help)

stress

stress

Iron
This is my outline for what im planning on saying to my orthodontist.

I would appreciate some feedback on what i should change.

Note: My mom is against treatment as a whole and her advice is always basically to thug it out. So i need to convince the orthodontist, and more importantly her, that it’s worth treating. And I'm also afraid that the treatment offered could recess me if I'm not careful.

The outline:

Started about 3 months ago

Symptoms: molars no longer make contact/make very light contact when teeth are closed. However after chewing hard food or clenching while im weight lifting etc. molars connect temporarily. The problem seems to be worst after just waking up.

Cramping around the tmj/cheek area after talking/laughing/eating a lot

Mouth has to open slowly. If i try and open it quickly it stops midway so that my mandible can protract forward before opening all the way. Forcing it is painful

The problem started after i was “thumbpulling” this is where you place your thumbs on the palate above canine teeth and pull forwards and outwards to expand the maxilla/bring it forward. I was also chewing hard gum a lot at the time.

I have tried fixing it by chewing to connect the molars and then keeping my mouth closed to maintain the position. But it reverts when i wake up. I also tried wearing a gauze to keep closed during the night but that didnt work either.

there is no popping or clicking.

I think i used to be able to retract my jaw more before this happened

Is it possible that thumb-pulling loosened the sutures or something and made my upper jaw retract which deprived my lower jaw of room. Essentially giving myself a malocclusion?

Is it possible that i injured the disks and that somehow made my bite weird?

Can I have an xray to see what the problem is

I am not comfortable with braces or extractions because ive heard some experts say it can cause the palate to become narrower/recessed

I would be open to using some sort of expanding device or bite correcting device

• JFL
Reactions: aleksander, capybara and Ark
I am not comfortable with braces or extractions because ive heard some experts say it can cause the palate to become narrower/recessed
congrats .org experts

• JFL
  • +1
Reactions: aleksander, capybara and stress
also jfl at telling your ortho about thumbpulling, hes gonna refer you to a psychiatrist

• JFL
  • +1
Reactions: lestoa, RealNinja, piec and 7 others
also jfl at telling your ortho about thumbpulling, hes gonna refer you to a psychiatrist
what should i say instead? im afraid they'll misdiagnose the problem if im not honest

i would consider john and mike mew to be experts
they got kicked out the orthodontic society in their own country, if you really think they’re right why dont you just mew the problem away

• +1
Reactions: stress
they got kicked out the orthodontic society in their own country, if you really think they’re right why dont you just mew the problem away
I see what youre saying. What would you do in my situation? Should i consider braces?

Just tell him everything that u said here, they will know the best how to help you

• +1
  • +1
just go see what he says after looking at your mouth then, i highly doubt thumbpulling fucked anything up as the lack of constant pressure means your bones would return to their natural position very quickly even if you somehow managed to move something. that’s why braces, invisalign, mse etc have to be worn 24/7 and then require retainers afterwards. Personally i wouldn’t get braces if under 18.

• +1
why would they promote something that could put them out of business

Harder daddy

• JFL
Reactions: Deleted member 57356
you have tmj symptomps yet you continue to chew gum, stop chewing hard foods or chewing a lot (gum, hard meat and stuff, carrots) and massage your jaw and relax it

just go see what he says after looking at your mouth then, i highly doubt thumbpulling fucked anything up as the lack of constant pressure means your bones would return to their natural position very quickly even if you somehow managed to move something. that’s why braces, invisalign, mse etc have to be worn 24/7 and then require retainers afterwards. Personally i wouldn’t get braces if under 18.
what if the braces expand the dental arch and dont have anything retractive?would that be best or still bad?